What is a turbo charger carburetor box?

another odd one

turbo4barrelcarburetora.png

looks like blow through design meant to be universal on intakes? (looks like you put it on a 4bbl intake manifold) carb is positioned upstream of the turbo unit..this looks like half of a turbocharger from what other pictures of you guys have....I am a NEWB to this >.< looks interesting though

That is not what I expected to see . . .

It appears that these are some really old school aftermarket attemps at draw through turbocharging systems. There's much better ways to do this now.

so you put the carb between the intake and the turbo? or ?? please enlighten me :) this is a cool design nonetheless!

No, the carb would be before the turbo, just like the original carbureted turbo V6s and Pontiac 301s.

oh ok, draw through=carb before turbo, blow-through=turbo before carb? I kind of think the draw through is simpler.....

It can be, from the aspect of not having to have a boost referenced carburetor built that can handle the pressure. Outside of that though, it's all just a matter of plumbing. One big advantage of a blow-through is the ability to intercool it. You can't intercool a draw-through because the fuel would just condense and puddle in your intercooler.

I looked around a little more for the top one and some mustang guys where using these with twin turbos. I still don`t get how it would hookup to your intake... there is no opening in the bottom, only on the side, so there most be some kinds of special intake you use.

lol..... you know me too well. one of these days Charlie, you need to see the collection.

A.j.

Well I figured that it would be you instead of someone else Aj.:biggrin: I hope I can make it out there one of these days for a visit. Then we can have some real fun.:eek::biggrin:

I looked around a little more for the top one and some mustang guys where using these with twin turbos. I still don`t get how it would hookup to your intake... there is no opening in the bottom, only on the side, so there most be some kinds of special intake you use.

Well the two ports on the sides of the box would go into the turbo inlets, which are then fed into the intake. If it were routed to the outlets, it would just blow out the top of the carb.

The AK Miller box is an add-on draw thru designed to slip in under the stock carb. Air goes thru the carb and picks up fuel thru the carb flange on top and then out the two side tube. Then thru the turbo and back thru the oval hole in the front (picture two) and down the opening in the very bottom. (The box is upside down in picture two).

It's for a square bore carb so to use it with a stock system you'd need several adaptors.