what have i done?

elcamino383

every time i try to fix my trans it gets worse. my 4th gear wasnt working so i sent my valvebody to chris at CK performance in NY and he sent me a new vb. i installed it and now all i have is 1st gear. 2nd, 3rd and 4th are gone reguardless of shifter position. i have a stage right trans brake (1st gear is T brake) which still works but when in 2nd or above position under throddle car goes like in 1st gear, does not shift and when you let off it floats back down to idle, there is no compression braking. any ideas of where to start guys? thanks a lot.

yank the tv cabl 30 times in and out with car off .now reconnect and road test.does it shift?if not install a pressure gag to verify line pressures response to tv plunger stroking.

help chris!

unhooked it, yanked it at least 30 times, hooked it up, adjusted TV. drove. still nothing. its not 'locked' in 1st gear, it floats back down to idle if you let off reguardless of speed. line pressures are as folows at idle (1000-1100rpm). P-90, R-170, N-90, 4th-90, 3rd-90, 2nd-210, 1st(t brake)-230. when in P,N,R,4 or 3 at 1500rpm idle the needle moves about 10 psi up. when in 2nd it goes to 240 quickly and when in 1st it goes right to about 290psi. the TV is responds instantly.

remove and inspect the governor.make sure the governor cover bolts are tight and the seal ring is not missing on the end of the governor shaft.

the little o ring? yes its all there, looks fine, bolts were tight. the governor checks out. i dont want to put it back together just to take it appart tomorow. what else could it be?

governor spring there?if so blow air into the governor feed hole in the case to see if the valves upshift in the valve body.this id=s the hole in the case that feeds oil to the governor.if not check the mtv up valve in the valve body.it may be stuck.

yes i blew air in the feed hole, the first couple times nothing, than a fluid dripping in my face and i can hear it clunking when i spray it. is that good?

EDIT: yes the gov springs are there (one on each side)

dont blow air in the governor.blow it into the case from the governor passage under the governor cover and see if you hear the valves upshift when you apply air.

get the car on jack stands in manual second at 50 mph make sure that you cant push in the servo cover with a prybar.if you cant push in there is a mechanical problem in the trans.if you can push in remove valve body,verify the tv upshift valve is not stuck in its bore,and then check to make sure the valve body gaskets and check balls are installed properly

there is no 2nd, it wont shift. ill check the tv upshift valve and the check balls, and report back tonight.

I had a similar prob. The tranny wouldn't shift untill redline. If I let off the gas before it shifted the rpms would just drop down to idle. Turned out the little spring that goes on the mechinism that the tv cable hooks to on the bottom of the valve body was missing.

we've got her captin!

cleaned everything! put it all back together and tested... 1st... 2nd... 3rd! thanks a lot chris, i was really getting worried about my trans. i think it was a combo of stuck valve and misplaced check ball (oops) BUT... there still is no 4th gear. :confused: so i can drive my car more than 30 mph, but no 4th. ill have to try the air pressure in the 4th gear pressure port... how can i unstick the 3-4 shift valve? why are my valves so sticky? lol. i am reguardless, very happy my trans is ok and all but 4th works. ;)

my trans is a 400 trapped in a 200-4Rs body! lol hope we can straighten out this OD. but a unrelated Q for you chris (or anyone else :cool: ) .. i got my TC restalled and now on the Tbrake it goes to 4100... say i swapped cam, and ported heads resulting in another 100 hp, how much higher do you think it would stall?

probably slightly higher.if you have no fourth again make sure that you didnt remove the 4th gear pressure switch.also most dont know but you can air check the fourth clutch with the valve body installed.apply compressed air to the hole under the 3/4 shift valve casting portion of the valve body .this is the exhaust hole and it can be used to test 4th clutch apply.

what about 4th gear pressure port? will that test it? whats the 4th gear pressure switch? i cant find in my manual..

what is the 4th gear pressure switch? i ran the car at 45 mph (on jackstands) in D4 than applied 50psi compressed air to the 4th gear pressure port (pass side small plug) and speed jumps to about 60 and rpm stays the same. so it definatly goes into 4th when pressure is applied there. where does the trans naturally get this pressure?