What happened to my tranny?

dave84gn

Ok I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to fix my trans, here's what happened.

After driving the car normally for 20 minutes, I stop and build some boost against the break, I held the break down harder than usual and got up to about 7psi of boost and probably held it there a little longer than I should have (I was looking at my turbolink). All of a sudden the engine revs up, so I get out of the car to see trans fluid under the car (below the dust cover) and I later determine that it came out of the dip stick. I lost about a 1/2 litre of trans fluid. Car wouldn't drive until I let it sit for 10mins or so. I added more fluid.

Now (a few weeks later) when I put the car in OD the car won't accelerate very much from a stop (I think it's slipping). If I put it into 1 or 2, it will accelerate fine and I can even open up the throttle without many problems. While driving, if I put it in D or OD, it will shift into 3rd, but it won't go into 4th I don't think. At WOT in 1st I get a lot of rattling coming from the trans.

So what happened?!! It was about 90 degrees out, did I overheat my trans? I have a trans cooler.

What is wrong with the trans? Does it require a full rebuild? I just put an Art Carr shift kit in about 3 months ago and it had been working great until now.

Ideas? Thanks a lot!!

Dave

My guess would be a roller clutch (sprag) let-go/came apart and if so it wouldn't nessasarily need complete rebuild, but disassembly will be required and should consider an overhaul, but I'm sure the more experienced ones on here can give you a more definitive answer.

I bet Art Carr would know.

I bet Art Carr would know!!! ROFL.:D

And you slippin, Mark?

And you were doin so well too.... What a shame..tisk tisk :(

Hint.... Pump seal fell out or converter neck is broke. That is the leak. I would bet on converter or pump rotor as far as damage on this one, but hell who am I? hehehe

Bruce
WE4

Re: I bet Art Carr would know.

Originally posted by WE4
And your slippin, Mark?

And you were doin so well too.... What a shame..tisk tisk :(

Hint.... Pump seal fell out or converter neck is broke. That is the leak. I would bet on converter or pump rotor as far as damage on this one, but hell who am I? hehehe

Bruce
WE4
You "DA MAN" that's why we come to you. But now I'm alittle confused, he said the fluid came from the dipstick and if he puts it in 1st or 2nd it will accelerate fine. It's not like he don't have anything, just curious now?

Originally posted by dave84gn
All of a sudden the engine revs up, so I get out of the car to see trans fluid under the car (below the dust cover) and I later determine that it came out of the dip stick.
Now (a few weeks later) when I put the car in OD the car won't accelerate very much from a stop (I think it's slipping). If I put it into 1 or 2, it will accelerate fine and I can even open up the throttle without many problems.
While driving, if I put it in D or OD, it will shift into 3rd, but it won't go into 4th I don't think. At WOT in 1st I get a lot of rattling coming from the trans.

Dave

Thanks for the replies guys!! Really appreciate it. Keep on discussing, that's fine by me ;)

One more bit of info that might help (who knows). After I did the shift kit (3 months ago), my converter wouldn't unlock. So I unplugged the wires going to the trans so it would never lock.

And yea today I drove it on the highway and it wouldn't go into OD. BTW, it doesn't leak anymore, it was just that once and I'm pretty sure it came from the dipstick because the top of the dipstick was oil soaked and the trans fluid was burning off quite fast from the engine heat (it presumably spilt on the crossover pipe).

So basically I gota pull the trans and get it rebuilt/fixed. I was hoping I could drop the pan and replace a small part and voila! :) I guess that would have been pretty unlikely though.

Feel free to keep discussing the problem though :) Hehe

Dave

Yes....

That does shed some more light. I have my theory, How bout you Mark? Think about it .... the key here is he disconnected tcc with a lock up converter. Yes seal in pump not the cause. Could still be a crack in hub tho.
I will let Mark think about this one.

Re: Yes....

Originally posted by WE4
That does shed some more light. I have my theory, How bout you Mark? Think about it .... the key here is he disconnected tcc with a lock up converter. Yes seal in pump not the cause. Could still be a crack in hub tho.
I will let Mark think about this one.
Funny I was going to comment on the fact that "he disconnected tcc " last nite and let him know that he was going to get reprimanded about doing that, but didn't want to "insert my foot any farther than it already was" so I left it alone to see what your take was. Rememeber I'm still learning so please be kind and consider using a "curve" on my final grade. ;) As for the answer, I know it will cause un-due heat but as to what it has done to cause his prob I'm not sure as I have personally wanted to post the ? myself on here as to what else it causes because I haven't been able to find the answer in searching the old post on here in the past to find out. :confused: So at this point you may procede in enlightening us as I finish removing my foot. :D

Remove your foot?

From where? What did you say wrong? See this troubleshooting is simply just a matter of process of elimination. You start with problem and what is on or effected when the problem occurs.
Simple as that. Then you decide if it is mechanically or hydraulic control related. A whole nother flow chart starts then.

That guys trans is building pressure. Why it is not coming out vent , I have no clue. The dipstick almost tells me the vent is plugged or restricted. The lock up connection undone could cause many odd problems. Is cooler flow restricted at all? This one will probobly be a bitch to figure out. It will take , like I said before , some "flow chart" and/or alot of friggin time.

Hey Mark?

Dont think for a second I am not impressed by you. I have watched you read, understand, and make a hugh attempt to learn. And.. you have. That is great! Don't let anybody take that away from you. Not me, no one.

It takes three things....
Time, the desire to learn or figure out, and alot of patience.

It is not brain surgery, and I or no one else on here is any "better" than you. If you figured out every problem correctly, I would be astonished. Hell , if I had the right answer to every single one I would be more than astonished.!
I can't, you can't and no one else can. All you can do is know the theorys and apply them to what area of the problem your are experiancing. Now once you got that down, It is all downhill from there. You are very "teachable", Just stick with it. Like I said before, I would hire you if California was your bag. They told me you would work for "7 dollar ah our!!!" ROFL

Don't underestimate yourself man........;)

Even if you do drive a Chevy. That is the only part of you I just dont understand... :eek: .ROFL

Bruce
WE4

Resume!!!

Originally posted by WE4
Hey Mark?

Dont think for a second I am not impressed by you. I have watched you read, understand, and make a hugh attempt to learn. And.. you have. That is great! Don't let anybody take that away from you. Not me, no one.

All you can do is know the theorys and apply them to what area of the problem your are experiancing. Now once you got that down, It is all downhill from there. You are very "teachable", Just stick with it. Like I said before, I would hire you if California was your bag. They told me you would work for "7 dollar ah our!!!" ROFL

Don't underestimate yourself man........;)

Even if you do drive a Chevy. That is the only part of you I just dont understand... :eek: .ROFL
I know this ain't the place but alittle back-round check on me fyi. I now have 22yrs experiance as a paid mech. I got my first apprenticeship job at 17 through school as a diesel/heavy equipment mech. I'm currently a field mech w/my own truck and go from job to job trouble shooting, repairing and maintaining epuipment for a company w/over 300 mach. mostly Cat's. I diagnose, repair and rebuild trans/coverter combinations which weight damn near what a car weights very basic designs and easy to do once there out. Eng., turbo's, blowers, hyd. you name it I know it like the back of my hand, but those are Cat's and others, As you say though I am just learning these trannies and I do want to, and will, maybe not to the degree you do but hell who does. :D Anyway as to the pay you discussed it is a litle less than I expected, actually $30 less than I'm making now not counting bennies. So we will have to discuss that alittle more. :rolleyes: As for the car I drive, I've always been a GM man I guess 'cuz my dad retired from GM and I like to drive what the winners drive. Remember our idol drove a car very similar to mine. Okay enough about me, btw thanx for the vote of confidance, back to poor Dave waiting patiently in the wings for alittle help.

QUOTE]Originally posted by dave84gn
After driving the car normally for 20 minutes, I stop and build some boost against the break, I held the break down harder than usual and got up to about 7psi of boost and probably held it there a little longer than I should have. All of a sudden the engine revs up.
Now (a few weeks later) when I put the car in OD the car won't accelerate very much from a stop (I think it's slipping). If I put it into 1 or 2, it will accelerate fine and I can even open up the throttle without many problems. While driving, if I put it in D or OD, it will shift into 3rd, but it won't go into 4th I don't think. At WOT in 1st I get a lot of rattling coming from the trans. And yea today I drove it on the highway and it wouldn't go into OD. BTW, it doesn't leak anymore, it was just that once
[/QUOTE]

Forgetting about the leak for a min. I sounds like mechanically he has a prob w/OD as it seams to pull 1,2,3 but no OD and won't take off in OD. I doubt it's burned as it happened stopped building boost, so looking in the man. (briefly) I seen the OD & lo-roller clutches holding in 1st while in OD thus my first guess. I still haven't came up with anything, BTW Dave how many miles on your trans?

I was only kidding about the money.......
The rest I meant what I said.... LOL

Bruce
WE4

Sorry Dav...

Didn't mean to take over your post like that and not even be able to help out, hopefully someone will still, but if not try reposting again, but it does sound like something broke and will need to come apart.

Hey guys. Been at the lake so I haven't had a chance to respond. No worries about 'taking over my post', it's all good :)

I'm planning to pull the trans and get it rebuild locally (fingers crossed on that one)... I don't want to dump much money into this and I also don't want to attempt a rebuild on my own (I'd love to learn, but at this point in time I just want a working trans).

One thing to add is, remember how I said the car won't accelerate much from a start when the car is in OD, well that also applies to D. I can only start from a stop in either 1 or 2. But once I get up enough speed I can put it into D from 2 and then it will put it into 3rd. But I can never get it into OD.

Trans has 100k miles on it or so. It *might* have been slipping a bit before the shift kit went it, but it was nice and firm afterward.

If you have any other thoughts, add them here, the forum emails me when it updates, so even if this post gets old, I'll still notice! :)

Otherwise, thanks for the thoughts guys, I really appreciate it!!

Dave

Make sure...

If you get it rebuilt that "YOURS" gets rebuilt and you don't get a replacement unless your sure its a GN trannie.