What Grade Of Oil...

TurboRussty

what grade of oil would you guys recomend for a 120k miles car with a small leak... i was using 20w50.... and it gives me a bit of tick noise down low but, right ater an oil change you won't here it only after you have driven it for a while....

could someone please provide some insight on this topic....

thanks
russty;)

I assume it's always hot down there so that's what I'd be using.

Maybe 10-40 in the winter.

Conventional Valvoline oil works for me. 143K

Wow, 20-50 and 10-40 in the winter? I've used 10-30 and 5-30 in the winter and had no problems in 15+ years. Is anybody else using oil that thick on a regular basis? Just curious.

I'm about to do my oil change and go to 20w-50 cause its always hot down here. I'm not even 2000 miles into my last oil change 10w-30 and it is done!.

gndriver,
If your oil is done at 2000 miles can I assume you are using dino oil and not synthetic?

Thats correct. I have been running 10w-30 for the last three years down here and it doesnt last before its broken down. Up in north carolina i would use 10w-30 but it gets to hot down here and the humidity is worst than any other place I have been to. I talked it over with a good TR mechanic and he's been running 20w-50 for a couple of years. So I'm going to try that. Having to change your oil every 1500 - 2000 miles gets tedious.

Just to be clear in the summer I use 10/40 and in the winter 10/30. Up here in CT.

In sunny FLA. I would be using the 20/50 and 10/40 grades. :)

oil

If you email any of the oil companies they reccommend 10w30 and not 10w40 winter or summer.Bruce

I use nothing but Mobile 1 5w50 down here in GA. Always synthetic in everything I use. Hell I even put it in the riding mower.:D

mobile one

Ive used mobile 1 15w50 ever since i can remeber. ever since the car went over 70,000 miles or so. its at 135,000 with no problems, the only thing i have replaced on the car major is the timing chain and powermaster unit.. :)

Grade of oil

If you have any leaks, dont use synthetic. I'm a big believer in Kendall 10-40. That's what i use in my 87 limited. Nothing wrong with synthetic stuff, but i dont want to spend 4 or 5 bucks a quart for it.

leaks

if u have any leaks? If you have a leak like a rear main or something then fix it.. if you have oil consumtion then use a heavier weight oil. aka 15-50 20-50 kyndal makes a 20-50, kyndal is a good motor oil. Id always use regular oil after a rebuild or after you have had the motor apart. just for break in etc. but after 500 miles id always put synthetic in. just me i guess

I use 3 qts of 10w30 and 2 qts of 15w50. Been using Mobil One after first 5000 mi. break in. Mobil one Tech. came to our work and that was what he recomended for turbo motors. Been runnin it forever. Owned my GN since it was a baby, back in May of 88
Tarey D.:) :D