what fuel pump?

87 we4 gray t

the stock replacement fuel pump isnt cutting it, even hotwired. what pump will get the job done? im on a reasonably tight budget.

mods: te44, 42.5 inj, afpr, cold air, pte chip 23* timing, ported big valve heads, 3" down pipe, smc alky, nitrous(very rare), stock intercooler (going to front mount).

cali gas at 91 octane.

thanks for the help. would like to stay with in tank set up, but will do what it takes to do it right.

Oh My, I can't believe you still have a stock pump in that thing!!! I'd go I'm sure a bunch of people will chime in, but I'd just go ahead and get a Walbro 340 and forget about it...You can find them used on here sometimes...I just bought a 307 used here myself, but only because it was cheap and I bought off of an older ex-Air Force member.

well yeah, you know what they say, young and dumb. anyway, just ordered a rjc distribution plate and plan on ordering a new 340 tomarrow. who has the best price?

www.racetronix.com great price!

In my opinion, DON'T GET IT FROM ANYONE ELSE! These guys have done their fuel system homework and the kit is awesome. Very easy to install if you have a few good hands that have been down that road before, (Thanks a bunch to Turbosam6) you are the man!

have a phone number? they say to buy that item factory direct and save. yet i only see paypal and no phone number? i dont use paypal and just want to buy the set up.

got mine from their Boost Performance distributor. It was $167 something with tax/shipping. Their number is 806-342-3013

racetronix

RACETRONIX.com takes visa,mastercard,discover.I just bought the 340 plug n play kit from them i don't think they take phone orders i'm lookin at my paperwork and don't see a number just a fax# 416-756-4201 and email sales@racetronix.com.Very fast shipping ordered on 10/25 delivered on 10/28.

You can take your 307 and shim the releif spring to make it equivalent (or more) to a 340.

Originally posted by 87GN_70GS
You can take your 307 and shim the releif spring to make it equivalent (or more) to a 340.

I don't think it is. There was a big debate about it before and in the end I believe it was determined that the windings in the 340 differ with that of the 307. The shim and relief spring will help but it still isn't the same as the 340.

Nope, no difference at all according to the flow tests done by myself and Precision. Years ago, I took a plain-jane 307, shimmed the relief, and flow tested it at various pressures and supply voltages. The results corresponded (actually did better at high pressures since I had a higher relief than the 340) with my own independant flow tests of a production 340 and readily available published flow charts. Precision repeated the same experiment (after mine, I might add) and got the same results.

No need to pay highway robbery, it's available for cheaper elsewhere.

Auto Performance Engineering has the FPG002 (307 pump and install kit) for $97.65 with free priority shipping.

They also have the FPG003 (340 pump and kit) for $113.40, with free shipping.

Interesting, I did hear that the 307 had a higher pressure at lower flows. Very interesting, thanks for the info!

I was told that a shimmed 307 can flow about as much as a 340, but with more current draw due to a less efficiant motor...I just bought a used 307 that's already been shimmed so we'll see how it does...I have big (read fast) plans for this car.

Originally posted by forzfed
I don't think it is. There was a big debate about it before and in the end I believe it was determined that the windings in the 340 differ with that of the 307. The shim and relief spring will help but it still isn't the same as the 340.

There is no debate. Fact is fact. The 340 has a different / more efficient armature which draws less current than the 307 at the same given output. The opening that use to allow access to the pressure relief spring is no longer there on the newer pumps. The factory relief valve is there for your safety. Modify its setting w/o the proper test fixture and you could be looking at a safety issue if your feed-line becomes restricted or blocked (i.e. accident) For the sake of a few extra $ why McGuiver a fuel pump when something is available off the shelf which will do the job properly?

87 we4 gray t

You may want to check the Racetronix web site. It appears they are having a sale on the 340 and plug-n-play kit right now. (If that's the way you decide to go.)

Unfortunately I didn't know sh*t about all the great Buick parts suppliers when mine needed replacement. I had Eastern Performance put in their ESP in-take pump rated at 50gph@51psi. Nothing was ever said about hot wiring or voltages at the time either. It has done a good job, but I have no idea what it is actually capable of other than what their ad stated. (Does anyone else run one of these?) I'm sure John will chime in any second now. :D With the Walbro, at least there are many real world tests done every day to verify what they can do! It's where I'll head when this one goes.

Ooops. I stand corrected. At one time, they were both the same "motor". My information was based on a timeframe of some years ago. Now, there are indeed differences other than the relief pressure. Sorry for the confusion.

thanks for the help.

just went ahead and ordered the racetronix kit along with a rjc airflow plate. should cure the detonation problems.