What do you guys recommend?

vboost77

SH%& STOPS AT THE GREEN
Well guys since im a rookie/ newbie , what would be the first thing you guys recommend to do to a GN? what is a good set up to start with? im not really into going to the track as much as i use to but i would like to have it running in the 10's, like 10.50's or so. so what would you guys recommend?! thanks!!:cool:

Well guys since im a rookie/ newbie , what would be the first thing you guys recommend to do to a GN? what is a good set up to start with? im not really into going to the track as much as i use to but i would like to have it running in the 10's, like 10.50's or so. so what would you guys recommend?! thanks!!:cool:

1. Read through both Turbo Regal Web Site & Vortex Buicks

2. Perform a "Spring Cleaning" tune up- The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

3. obtain a scan tool, such as a Scanmaster or Power Logger

These are the big 3 that should be done to any TR / GN before starting the trip down Mod Street... :)

1. Read through both Turbo Regal Web Site & Vortex Buicks

2. Perform a "Spring Cleaning" tune up- The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide

3. obtain a scan tool, such as a Scanmaster or Power Logger

These are the big 3 that should be done to any TR / GN before starting the trip down Mod Street... :)

X2! Also,Learn everything you can about the car...previous owner mods...etc. Get it running with NO ISSUES (ZERO knock, etc) before you worry about Mods.

The post above will get you started.....

IMHO ..... 10.50's costs a whole lot more than bottom 11's reliably.

If you back your goals up to bottom 11's..... you can do that with pump gas..... and alky....... and bolt-ons.....

10.50's gets into rebuilding the motor with steel main caps.... or a stud girdle.....and decent steel crank...... it really increases the $$ fast once you want to go 10.50's safely...... sure stock parts can be pushed and get a good time.... but it is only a matter of time (should you push the stock parts that far) until you have a major engine failure.

After all the steps from the 2nd post is done..... up high on the list would be an alky kit.....maybe a dutt neck stock location intercooler..... and a turbo upgrade (TE44 for a reliabe and cheap upgrade that can run bottom 11's) and a torque converter upgrade to match the turbo..... maybe a downpipe.... and a cold air kit...... and some bigger injectors (60# Motron's) .... and a TT chip.

That should get you low 11's on any day with slicks and some sub 1.70 60' times.... if you can get it hooked.

If you are deadset on mid 10's...... still do all of the above except save up for bigger turbo.... matched converter.....and a better built bottom end....maybe some ported heads.

GREAT!! thanks guys for the info... i think ill get the car running perfect before i do anything... then ill worry about conservative mods..... thanks again!!!

Do i what did and search/read as much as you can on this site. This site and gnttype.org has a TON of info with guys who have been around since (and before) these vehicles were brand new.

Keep in mind everyone has their own recipe to get down the 1320, all i can say is detonation is your enemy.

Search before you ask questions like which is the best "injector/turbo/intercooler for me." Almost every question has been asked on this site and answered. Check out the Junkyard Dogs sub forum for easy to find used parts that interchange with Turbo Regals.

READ READ READ

Good Luck!

Sal

I'd check the fuel pump too. If it's the stocker, I'd go with an upgrade with a hotwire kit.

1. Read
2. Spring Cleaning
3. Read
4. Scan tool and hotwire.
5. Read
6. Rinse and repeat as necessary:smile:.

THANKS SAL!!!.... ill do that also. im not a big fan of used parts, but i guess i could try it out.

what is the worst thing that these cars have... what is part or parts that tend to go all the time?

what is the worst thing that these cars have... what is part or parts that tend to go all the time?

The factory fuel pumps suck......as do the stock valve springs...... should be 2 of the earliest upgrades you might do after spring cleaning.......

Go out and buy a 10.5-10.0 car already done you won't have half the heart break or misery your gonna have trying to get there:rolleyes: and you wallet will thank you at the end

Leave it as stock as possible

Mo' horsepower Mo' problems.:rolleyes:

Do you already have your car? Or still looking? If so what's done so far? Any pics?

i could do that also

If your goal is 10's there are alot of fast cars for sale right now at way less then 4 years ago. But like berserker said if you already baught the car and it's stock you can be into the 11's with bolt on's and not a ton of mods and still be super reliable fuel pump , hot wire turbo's (if needed) and the list goes on and on reading and listening is your friend at this point hth

loan is being processed.....just waiting for the check. looking to spent no more than 14k.... have a few im looking at. i will post picks when it arrives at my home.

you know 87granny... from what everyone is saying i might just keep it simple, prob. 11.50's to 11.80's..... i hope ..lol...

For 14k you'll be able to find a really good car with mods and be into 11s without breaking the bank

well 87g, i found one he is asking 13+, and im going to look at one this sunday he has it posted on here also. here is the thing i work so much this will be my sunday car that will keep me busy. the bad thing is that i live in florida now and i will be moving to NC so i would have to leave the car with my parents since we will be renting or selling our house here and i wont have a garage to keep it in up north until we buy another house.