What chip are you guys running?

TRIPLEJ

What chips are you guys running? Any suggestions for my set up? I have the pit bull chip.
Thanks

I have the LS1 MAF and translator with an extender chip. I think its great, although I wish the chip had more tuning ability, like programming more in the fuel and timing curves. I like that I can adjust timing in 1st and 2nd, but there is no adjustment possible for 3rd and 4th. I know you can do this with the translator plus, but I wish the chip had a parameter to allow you to run the LS1 MAF, with the extended flow range without the need for a translator. But then that would mean less money for the people selling the translator and the extender. In the stang world, we could switch between completely different MAFs by changing something in the chip. No need for any translator. The chip does all the translating. With this imaginary chip, you could adjust for any MAF, any injector, any timing or fuel curve you want. You could adjust part throttle tune and turn off adaptive strategy so closed loop conditions dont change your open loop tune. All sorts of stuff. At least thats the world I came from, and it spoiled me. I guess there is just alot more money in having 300 different chips. You change to a different color spark plug wire and now you need a new chip.:D

Funny you have the pit bull chip-
My car woud always want to die when it was cold in the morning, everyday it would run crappy till it warmed up with that same pit bull chip.

I installed Erics chip in my car and it woke up big time, never ever dies, and i can adjust my timing and fueling via the AC controls.
His website is in my signature.

BW

Originally posted by VadersV6
...I know you can do this with the translator plus, but I wish the chip had a parameter to allow you to run the LS1 MAF, with the extended flow range without the need for a translator. But then that would mean less money for the people selling the translator and the extender...

I wanted to jump in on this. There is a reason why you need a Translator (or some other type of electronic gizmo) to get the extended flow range. It comes down to a hardware limitation in the Buick's ECU that a chip cannot overcome.

I'm going to try to keep this really simple, just for illustrative purposes. The hardware used by the Buick ECU is not capable of reading a "signal" from a MAF sensor that is greater than 256 grams/second. If a signal above 256 grams/second reaches the ECU, the hardware cannot process it properly, and an overflow condition results. Anyone who has experienced "MAF drop-out" has seen what happens - the ECU "freaks out" for a split second, because the signal cannot be processed properly.

So, how does the T+ get around this? Well, The T+ takes the signal from the MAF and divides it by 2. So, for example, if the MAF is seeing 300 grams/second, the T+ sends a signal equivalent to 150 grams/second to the ECU. The Extender chip then is set-up to double the amount of fuel that would be needed. So, if the T+ is sending a signal to the ECU that corresponds to 150 grams/second, the chip will fuel the car for 300 grams/second of air flow. By doing this, air flows up to 512 grams/second (256 X 2) can be successfully processed by the ECU. If you hook up a scan tool or DirectScan to a car that has a T+ running, you will notice that the displayed MAF value is exactly one-half of the "real" air flow value.

I don't know much about Stangs, but I would guess that their ECU hardware is already capable of processing higher values of MAF without "freaking out".

I hope that makes sense. Let's put it this way - if somebody had figured out how to make a chip that would allow for 512 grams/second of air flow without a translator, believe me, they would have done it.

Yeah, I know how the trans works. It just seems that if you had a parameter that allowed you to switch to an LS1 MAF, then the chip itself would cut the signal in half, and then extrapolate that data in such a way, that the computer adjusts fuel for double the number the MAF is sending. The stang computers have the same issue. They cant read over 5 volts. They also experience pegging, or "MAF dropout" as the TR guys call it. Only its not read in g/sec, it's simply a voltage curve that pegs at 5 volts when the limit is reached. When I went blown on my cobra, I ran an 80mm lightning MAF, and then a 90mm lightning MAF, vs the 80mm cobra calibrated MAF I had, N/A. The lightning MAF sends a voltage vs. flow curve that makes absolutely no sense to the hardware of the cobra ECM. 4 volts on an LMAF equates to a hell of alot more air flow than 4 volts on an 80mm Cobra MAF. All it takes is a little change in the chip to make the cobra ECM make sense of the LMAF.