What a wife! New combo part deux.

L8TRH8R

At the end of the summer last year I noticed a bit of milk shake under breathers, and, bubbling in coolant. After re torqueing heads, GM tabs etc. pulled heads to find three cracked cylinder walls AND found out all six pistons had cracked!! Pistons were supposed to be Diamond and were actually Probe....... SOOOOOO I decided I wanted to complete a dream and ordered a TA block. After waiting for the block I've been so bored with all the extra time I've sold most of the old combo and am now waiting on the rest of the parts to arrive, combo will consist of:

TA block 3.900 (off center)
Weber stroker kit with Molnar rods and Diamond pistons
Weber 218/218 billet cam
Precision 120lb injector
Also updated fuel pump with a Racetronix DP and fuel lines
PTC 9.5 nl in place of a PTC 10" lu
PIECES FROM OLD COMBO
GN1 heads
T&D 1.65 rockers
Champion intake/rails
Extreme auto stage 3
Denny's driveline
Moser axles
RJC mega cooler
GN1 3" stainless exhaust
ATR headers/DP
sent my Precision 6765 billet in it's is now 6766 etc. etc.
Cal will tune the XFI
I'll update with photos as project moves forward.

Last edited:
Congrats and subscribed! What's the difference between the 6765 and 6766? Is the 66 billet and other cast?

The 66 is a Precision made piece, the 65 was a turbonetics sourced wheel from what I understand. Not sure if there really is a difference?
Should be a nice build. That is why 109 blocks scare me if they haven't been sonic tested. Where did the pistons crack?

Supposedly the cea wheel )66) is an improvement over the Turbonetics (65) hot side?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1403716924.274463.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1403716950.243826.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1403716967.110157.jpg

The 66 is a Precision made piece, the 65 was a turbonetics sourced wheel from what I understand. Not sure if there really is a difference?
Should be a nice build. That is why 109 blocks scare me if they haven't been sonic tested. Where did the pistons crack?

Sorry they cracked at the skirt.

Baller much?! By "What a wife" - is that because she let you drop the coin or did she pony up?!

Either way, congrats on starting the new build and i look forward to seeing your results.

Seems like you had the other one running pretty well...any Idea of any one incident that led to your parts failures? Have a big knock episode, run outta alky, or do some deep high gear pull, etc that may have hurt anything?

Baller much?! By "What a wife" - is that because she let you drop the coin or did she pony up?!

Either way, congrats on starting the new build and i look forward to seeing your results.

Seems like you had the other one running pretty well...any Idea of any one incident that led to your parts failures? Have a big knock episode, run outta alky, or do some deep high gear pull, etc that may have hurt anything?

She's letting me spend my own money, lol! She could've said no and I would've done something else. Yes, I know what detonated it, I have a huge stereo in my car, alt dipped once and I heard it detonate. That's the only time and it was enough! After that I put a 220 amp Stinger on and it NEVER dips even running ac, alky etc. Car ran fine with no smoke when it was torn apart.

Well that's good to know.
Voltage is so critical on these. Crazy that much damage and no symptoms!

I hear you with the wife...I'm crawling along on mine so she doesn't freak out.

Everyone thought I was just a paranoid freak, I knew something was wrong from the log as it was leaning, but, fuel pressure was raising 1:1 with boost. Just my luck though...

Block should be here Wednesday and rotating assembly hopefully by the end of the week. Pistons and rods were photographed by Bill from Weber for me.

Thank you Shaun. Should be right at the 260 ish cube mark. As far as times, I'm not going to cage the car so 9's are just fine, putting my 109 back together with a stock stroke combo in case I decide to do an all drag car.