Wet or dry pre stage??

HotAirGN

When should one drive through the water before pre stage and when should they avoid it. Is there a time that if your less than then drive through, and if not this fast then don't? Ex <=13.5 wet the tires, >dont wet the tires. Or is it just dependant on what tires you have. I don't want to drive through and spin through the lights and I dont want to not drive through and not get good traction. Any help, thanks

If you have radial tires, then go around water box to avoid getting water on any tires.

If you have slicks/drag radials, then go around and if you can, back up in the water box so you dont get fronts wet and you can hold a bunch of boost:)

go just enough to where your tires are just out of the box and start warming them up

Go through the water box slowly to avoid splashing water on fenderwells so it doesn't drip down while staged.

If you are on radial tires, I would spin them just enough to get all dust and rocks off and then launch it.:)

HTH
Bo

I am running stock size radials and have found your better off avoiding the water box and skipping a burnout all together. Although I have only made about a dozen passes since I purchased my GN, I have found that doing a burn causes my tires to loose traction at the line and makes it tough to build boost. My times without a burn or just spinning the tires to remove any dirt were about 3 to 4 tenths quicker. I think tires will dictate a burnout or not, I would stay away if your running radials, IMO.

wet or dry

I am so glad to hear people admiting that the water box is not the place to be!! Even with sicks, I could not hook up until I went around the burnout box and backed in to it. That little bit of water that will be on your front tires, if you drive through it, makes all the difference in the world. Just think about how little water it takes for you to spin the slicks freely in the "box". Then think of how long you are siting on the "line", or close to it...I don't know how people hook up when the drive through it. At the track that I go to, I look silly for driving around it, but it works!

The only cars here that drive straight through the water box are the big tired cars that burnout past the staging beams then back up to run. Everyone else drives around then backs in. Even a skinny front tire is going to carry a lot of water for several feet past the box.

Peter

Driving around it is critical for me since I launch @ 15psi.. I drove thrugh it once (brain fart) and the boost got up to ~12psi and the car pushed through the lights and totally blew my concentration...arrgg... Totally wasted my run....:mad:

ks

I pretty much always drive though when I am using slicks. I just make sure to comeout of the burnout box still spinning the tires. I try to spin them almost right up to the pre-stage line to keep them as clean and dry as possible. Never really had any problem doing it this way and getting consistent low 1.6 60's and several 1.5's.

I use to drive around and back in. I did it this way for more than 15 years of racing cars with radials. Now, if its a warm day, I just drive thru the water slowly, do a burn out on the damp area past the box and scrub the water off the front tires as I pull up to the line by turning them back and forth. If its a cool or cold day, I still drive around the water and back in, though.