Well there goes head gasket number 2

Justin87GN

Alright, well long long long story short, I bought the car 9 years ago and have since put about 2000 miles on it. The cars second home is the shop and I never get to enjoy it except for small amounts at a time where it either runs like crap, or breaks something else. The motor was orignally built by Lee Howie, and for the longest time ran like complete crap for all that was "said" to be done to it. ( It was built to be a 10 second car but could only muster 12:50's on a good day). So we finally had shop "X" look at it. The problem was finally figured out that the tune was completely wrong, and the stretch intercooler would not let the car build over 17psi boost for some reason. So the money was spent on a FMIC, Alkey, and a fast XFI system. The car ran great, it made 395rwhp and 625ft/lbs of torque at only 21psi boost. So we took the car out to the local PA flashlight drags, and it ran great all day long, however we noticed it started to run really hot, long story short it blew a head gasket. We had only had the car back from the shop that mourning to take the to the flashlight drags, and it already broke something again. Again, long story short, the car sat for a year with the motor out of it awaiting its stage 1 block. Meanwhile the short block shead gasket was repaired and eventually the motor was recently stuck back in the car. It ran awsome with the alky kit and 20psi boost( it even did a 275ft rolling burnout on bfg drag radials). A couple nights ago i took my brohter in law out for a ride in it, the car started to break up pretty bad around 20psi. So just took it out tonight to go for a quick run down the road and sure enough, the car that NEVER went over 160 degree's is up to 220. I shut the car off and babied it enough to get home... sure enough the oil is full of water, and there goes head gasket #2. Can someone please tell me if its in the tune that this car keeps popping head gaskets? Whenever I get my stage block in there, I dont want the guy from shop "X" to do the tuning on that if so. Thanks alot

Justin

You should start looking for the problem in the data logs you should have recorded while you ran the car. Do you have any XFI data logs to let people look at your tune? If not you better turn the boost down and quit spraying alky until you find what's wrong.

It ran awsome with the alky kit and 20psi boost( it even did a 275ft rolling burnout on bfg drag radials).

Justin

Forgot to add...it's not nice to abuse a car. You will pay for it in the end.

14 bolt heads too?

I wonder if your not getting the heads torqued down enough, and that is the reason for the current issue.

THIS CONCERNS ME:

A couple nights ago i took my brohter in law out for a ride in it, the car started to break up pretty bad around 20psi. So just took it out tonight to go for a quick run down the road and sure enough, the car that NEVER went over 160 degree's is up to 220.

Justin

If it was sputtering the night before, why did you take it out for a spin before testing to see if something was seriously wrong?

BW

if u dont want shop "x" to work on ur car, i see ur in PA, maybe drive down to Anderson Performance in Maryland and let them handle the car! they're great from what ive seen and heard!

My only suggestion I could make is if you are having problems do not throw more money at the problem to make it go away. Figure the problem out on the existing combination and then fix it, test it, and test it again. I'm not saying that's what you did, but it sounds like it might have been what you did, and a lot of folks make this common error.

Having said all that, I bought my GN over a year ago and I've clocked about 500 miles because of all the 'issues' I've found from previous owners. It's a never-ending struggle, but I'm sick in the head an love it.

Good luck man. Sounds like you're on your way to one seriously wicked ride!!