Welders - I want to weld.

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
I'd like to get a welder but I have NO IDEA what kind to get or how to use it. I'd like to get a single machine that will allow me to weld the widest range of metals. Honestly I'll probably start with a Harbor Freight cheap-azz machine to learn with and replace that once I fuggit up beyond all imagination during the learning process. I'll get something better once I get a grasp of what the hell I'm doing. I'd like some input from you guys. What type of machine will allow me to weld the most different types of metals? I don't care about how much skill is required because I have lots of time to practice and develop the technique needed. I'm not going to try to start a career welding, its more or less something I've always wanted to do and a good skill to have. Owning a car that is notorious for cracking headers makes it useful skill to have as well. Is there anything out there that can weld : mild steel, cast iron, stainless, aluminum, copper, unobtainium ?????? Your input is appreciated. Yes I'll probably end up taking a welding class or two. Thanks in advance for your insight.

Here's a great site to do some research on what you might want to buy.

120 Volt Mig Welder recommendations - The Garage Journal Board

Personally I have never owned my own since I have access to oxygen-acetyline and TIG heli-arc welding at work.

I would suggest taking a welding course at a community college and learn the correct way to weld starting on oxygen-acetyline, arc stick welding, and then moving on to MIG and TIG.

I don't know if I'd mess with the harbor freight welders. I am guessing you are looking at their ~$100 flux core wire feed unit? They are kind of fun to fart around with outdoors, but they don't give the best welds due to spatter and the smoke is not something you want to breathe in a garage.

Take a class or two and use their equipment to figure out what you like. You don't want to overbuy or be frustrated being limited by an underbuy. :)

I looked at all of them on the HarborChEAPfreight sight. I'd like to acquire ONE machine. I don't want to give up a parking space in my garage so that I can house welding equipment. I'm taking your advice into consideration. It may end up going that way for me. Preliminary thoughts were that some of the HF welders are so cheap that I could use it as a boat anchor and not really lose any money once I got a good machine.

Why buy twice? Buy a Lincoln or Miller and be done with it. Go with a 220V one if you have an outlet for it.....you'll be glad you did if you decide to weld something thick.

I need the book "Welding for Dummies".
You say Lincoln and Miller and I think car and beer.
My welding experience is limited to JB.

Let me start off by stating I am an amateur by any stretch of the imagination.

I started off with oxy accetalyne and buzz box welding in eighth grade shop class. My dad bought me a Sears craftsman buzz box a couple years later, and I still have and use it. My fil had(he passed so I guess it is my mil now) a Lincoln tombstone. It works good for what it is. Plenty of melting power. I did my share of burning rods with these two machines repairing and fabbing stuff.

A few years later a got a Campbell hausfeld wire feed flux core 110v unit. It is upgradable to MIG with the addition of a bottle but I have yet to do that but it is on the horizon as have recently gone to work for a company called AirGas. We deal in industrial and medical gases and welding and cutting equipment. Back to the unit. It allowed me to do much thinner materials.

All of what I have is good for steel. Aluminum will require the tig I believe, and if you are good it will produce those fancy results that look like a row of knocked over dimes. As previously noted the fluxcore is messy and spatters a lot.

Try starting out with a MIG welder first....practice a lot, become real good on steel with it, then, for the neat stuff, go with a TIG, but be warned, TIG welders cost a LOT.

The Lincolns and Millers are top notch, but that's just my opinion. Good luck.

Bruce '87 Grand National

... Honestly I'll probably start with a Harbor Freight cheap-azz machine to learn with and replace that once I fuggit up beyond all imagination during the learning process...

NO! I had one, it lasted 20 yrs and was still going when I gave it away. Problem is, it made crappy welds because the feed rollers are junk. All that time and I thought I was never gonna be able to weld...

Why buy twice? Buy a Lincoln or Miller and be done with it. Go with a 220V one if you have an outlet for it...

YES! By golly, a Miller 180 was all it took to be able to make a good, quality weld. They were $750 a few years back when I got mine, but well worth the price. Yup, buy it once and call it a day.

Where were you a couple of weeks ago.. I could have use someone to crawl up inside a car and tig a few bars in... lol

MIG mild steel, cromoly, aluminum (with spool gun)

TIG all of the above plus some.

I have both and use the mig for fast mild steel welding, TIG for Aluminum and cromoly.

MIG is the way I taught myself to weld. Go ahead and buy a good one and pic up scrap metal from local shops and weld away..

ALWAYS wear protection I've watched many people MIG with no helmet etc..

Buy a decent Miller or Lincoln MIG right away. The cheap welders will only frustrate you with their ridiculously low duty cycle and the flux core wire isn't good for anything structural.

I see nice welders on craigslist all the time. Have the person selling it demo it for you. IMO, a 220v welder is overkill for most hobbyists. I have a 115v unit at my shop, and can do 3/16 inch plate with it. That's thicker than anything on the car.

Take it home, watch some videos on youtube, get some scrap metal, and start practicing. MIG welding is very easy to do, once you get the machine set correctly. And like all the good things in life, proper penetration is the key. ;)

What can I not weld with a TIG? I'm reading all the suggestions of MIG but don't our headers require TIG welding for proper repair?

Jason I don't know where I was a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't gotten my head out of my azz yet. My Proctologist called last week to tell me they found my head butt everything before then has been fuzzy.

What can I not weld with a TIG? I'm reading all the suggestions of MIG but don't our headers require TIG welding for proper repair?

Jason I don't know where I was a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't gotten my head out of my azz yet. My Proctologist called last week to tell me they found my head butt everything before then has been fuzzy.

If you have the coin, get the tig. I would love one. Unfortunately I also like my family and want to retain my wife. But if I had the budget my garage would contain a Miller tig and an esab plasma cutter. If only I could convince them to quit eating.

OP, you don't need a TIG to weld up your headers, it can be done with a MIG welder. Buy a Miller or Lincoln, 115 is probably fine, and make sure it's one that allows you to use shielding gas so you can use solid wire. Flux core doesn't require the gas, but it's nice to be more versatile. From my experience (which isn't a ton) the MIG is the way to go unless you are welding crazy stuff like aluminum, because TIGs are freaking expensive.

DO NOT BUY A STICK WELDER.

Go to usaweld.com or htpweld.com. You can have a mig, tig and stick all in one. Htp has great equipment.I think they are made in Italy unlike the others made in Mexico. I have a Miller,Lincoln and an htp. They are all good welders but the Htp that has three in one is nice and the customer service is great. They also have welding classes once and a while.

I would love a TIG but right now I've only got a MIG. MIG can be used for just about the same as TIG but not very fine work. TIG is much more controlable to make sure you don't burn through what you're working on but will cost more to buy.

We've been using a Hobart 110 MIG unit in the shop for several years and now have a 220 unit. After 5+ years the 110 unit needs some love but is still working ok. It's welded race car chasis together as well as frames. fences, headers, and a whole bunch of crap. It's been a very good welder for the price but if you've used it as much as we have you'll need to service it a little.

Wow that MTS160 sounds like da'shidt!!! Especially to someone like me who doesn't know much. I will look into that machine. Thanks.

We've been using a Hobart 110 MIG unit in the shop for several years and now have a 220 unit. After 5+ years the 110 unit needs some love but is still working ok. It's welded race car chasis together as well as frames. fences, headers, and a whole bunch of crap. It's been a very good welder for the price but if you've used it as much as we have you'll need to service it a little.

Sounds like a 120volt units can do the trick for car guys like us....i really like the prcie of this baby for my garage...
Mig Welder MIG 130 | USAWeld.com $399--damn

need to compare it to the Hobart..