weird problem

kraus

My brother has a 78 turbo sport coupe regal it runs great ...until it warms up.Then after it warms up upon accleration it spits and sputters then takes off.He replaced cap rotor,plugs ,wires,fuel filter,rebuilt the carb,gutted the cat and put a split 3 inch exhaust on the car.I checked everything i could think of and i am lost as to why once it warms up it runs goofy.If you ease into it it is okay but as soon as the boost gauge shows boost spits and sputters...anybody got an idea?

I don't know about '78's but on '87s this problen is caused by the ignition module (under the coil pack) shorting out when it gets hot.

Do some seaching. I remember a post about this.

do you sell used cars? i swear ive heard that line before, "it runs great ...until it warms up".

Are you talking about the factory boost guage? because that dosnt light up till 3 psi. If so, have you or your brother checked the boost/vac lines? trace them back from the boost guage, theres alot of em. they get pretty dried out aftr 30 years and leak.

hope i helped

do you sell used cars? i swear ive heard that line before, "it runs great ...until it warms up".

Are you talking about the factory boost guage? because that dosnt light up till 3 psi. If so, have you or your brother checked the boost/vac lines? trace them back from the boost guage, theres alot of em. they get pretty dried out aftr 30 years and leak.

hope i helped

You're learning grasshopper.:biggrin: LOL Sounds like the PEVR valve is not working right or something is wrong with the carb.

You're learning grasshopper.:biggrin: LOL Sounds like the PEVR valve is not working right or something is wrong with the carb.

where is the pevr valve located,like said when its cold car runs great get into boost away it goes no hiccup i would call it.When about 180 hiccup becomes present.And is the pevr valve still available....

He replaced contole module in distributor also,i forgot to mention that,cuz it died once and would restart till it cooled down.

The port at the bottom center of the carb is the power valve. Follow that vac line back to the three port fitting. That's the PEVR and no, you can't buy one anymore. Please go to the before black website and do some reading to help you fix it.

i will have to check make sure vaccum lines are run correct,i found the picture of the intake where the valve is but not how to fix it yet.

Wow... Kinda in the same boat... but nice to know that someone out there is sharing the same struggle...:D