Weird hesitation in overdrive

Qwkspool

Hey guys, I just installed a ck shift kit and everything works great. I've driven around town for a few days but today I got on the freeway for the first time since the install. When it's in overdrive and I'm just cruising, the engine bogs down then up and continues this pattern every few seconds. The check engine light almost comes on but then goes off simultaneously with the surging. So it does not throw a code. I caught the activity on my powerlogger and when it bogs down, my tps is right to 0 then back up. Same with the int and blm's, they go to 0 when it bogs then jumps back up to normal 128. What could cause this? WOT seems unchanged and cruising in any gear besides overdrive is fine also. I can only replicate the problem in overdrive.

Lock up solenoid maybe? I had a similar problem with a 2004R in a Monte Carlo SS I owned 15 years ago and your problem sounded similar to what I had experienced (from memory).

What chip are you running. If it's one that depends on powerlogger data, maybe the powerlogger board is losing contact with the ecm and need reseating.

The tcc? Acording to my powerlogger when I was just cruising at 55, the tcc lockup box was unchecked. Also when it surges, almost everything on the powerlogger goes to 0 for a second. (The int,blm, tps, mph, etc). The afr jumps from 14.7ish to under 11. I am not ruling that out though since the only thing I've messed with is the shift kit. Just trying to do some research and figure this out.

I replaced then tcc about 1000 miles ago because it would not unlock decelerating from the highway. I am still leaning towards something I did with the shift kit cuz that's the only thing I changed. Actually when I was installing the shift kit, I left then eyes in the ignition and completely killed my battery. I trickle charged it back up. Not siren fm hat has anything to do with this. I guess the thing the boggles my mind is; it's fine under WOT, the problem goes away if I put it into 3rd instead of OD, and if it is tranny or tcc related, the. Why do my readings fall to 0 on the powerlogger?

here is a powerlogger file if anyone is interested in looking at and helping me out

Attachments

• 22.dat
    92.1 KB · Views: 66
Wow that's a crazy looking file. I don't see the trans being the cause. Looks to me like some type of electrical problem. Check battery connections. Make sure they are tight. Trace the positive cable to the starter. Particularly by the headers. Make sure its not touching and burned through. Check the grounds on the back of the passenger head. Unplug the ecm check the plugs and sockets for corrosion. Remove chips and check for corrosion as well. Check the main lug on starter. Make sure it's tight and wires are not shorting out on anything.

I just took it out again. And it does the same thing in 3rd gear too but it only occurs on the highway when I'm goin above 50 mph. I can't get it to do it except on the highway. The weird thing is this only started after I installed the shift kit. I will check the grounds etc. is it possible to wire the TCC backwards? The only reason I'm leaning toward that is because it only happens on the highway. But the rpms, blm's, int, etc all going to 0 for a split second has me confused.

Maybe the TCC is okay but you pinched the wire to it and it is shorting out?
x2 on unplug the TCC connector and see if it goes away.

Just took it out again with the connector on the side of the trans unplugged. To my surprise, it didn't act up at all on the highway. Not the slightest bit. So I drove and picked up a new TCC and will drop the pan again to see if anything looks out of place. It's weird because lasts time I had a TCC issue, it would just stall coming to a stop. I didn't think a tcc could cause my rpms, blm, etc to go to zero for a split second unless like you said, something might be shorting out or wires crossed. Hopefully this fixes it because I am supposed to go to the track tomorrow night to see what she will run with this stock turbo before I bolt on this te60 I have in the garage

I am not a trans guru but like I said, a 200R4 hasn't changed in 30 years. I was told that the increase in line pressure a shift kit builds affects it. Not sure, just been my experience.

Well I changed the tcc solenoid and took it for a quick ride and it seemed fine. I went to drive to the track tonight and it started doing it again but not as often. So I pulled over, unplugged the harness, and continued on without a problem. What else could be the problem that goes away by unplugging the harness? And for anyone interested, I ran 12.40s @ 107. Thats stock turbo, trans, and converter. And after a 130 mile trip up to the drag strip. I'm pretty happy considering I could have locked the converter and gotten more out of her but did not because of the way the car was acting with the tcc solenoid.

Nice time! What other mods besides the ones listed do you have done? How many lbs of boost? What track did you go to?

Just replace the tcc, if memory serves me correct, it's an easy r&r job that can be done for less than $100.

Nice time! What other mods besides the ones listed do you have done? How many lbs of boost? What track did you go to?

Mods are in the sig. Pretty much all the supporting mods. I was running 23-24 lbs of boost with 25 degrees of timing in 1/2 and 22 degrees in 3rd. Best 60 ft time I could get was 1.73 with MT et streets and bone stock suspension.