Weird crossmember type bar on my GN

Turbo6Tech84

I bought my GN back in Aug 07 and this bar was on it when I got it. It seems the previous owner wanted to do a ladder bar type suspension and never completed the job on it. I wanted to know any ideas of what to do with this bar. Should I cut it off or leave it there it doesnt really interfere with the drive shaft or exhaust. If anything I think it supplies some additional support to the frame. Heres a picture any comments would be appreciated.

Looks like a ladder bar mount but it is real close to lower control arms. I have seen 4 link set ups that look like that. I would call the guy that you bought it from and ask him what he had in mind. I would leave it alone for now .You never know.

Yea i guess ill just leave it alone then theres other pressing matters with the car that need to be taken care of anyway.

I'd remove it just because it would annoy me to look at it. :biggrin:

If you arent using it, take it off, it is serving no purpose and is just adding exccess unneeded weight.

If it's tied into the frame it would clearly be adding needed support to these flimsy frames... doubt that it weighs very much.

i would leave it. it will stiffen the car up some. just grind off the tabs on the bottom where the mounts where going to be

Thanks for the suggestions im gonna grind off those mounting flanges and leave it there. Probably only weighs around 45lbs maybe alittle more but it does looks like it supports the frame along with all the braces I got its a pretty solid ride.

That was the crossmember for an aftermarket GNX suspension made by Quality Engineering who later became AVC out of Fenton, MI.

I had that same exact crossmember laying around and installled on my car. It adds re-enforcement to the area. I would cut off the tabs that hang down and leave it in place. It weighs around 20-25lbs. Do NOT jack the car up from it, it will crack. Don't ask me how I know. That is the reason I have/had an extra one.

If you look closely, you'll see the crossmember
P6190081.jpg

Here is a flyer from them. Guess this shows how long I'm into the turbo Buicks:rolleyes:
scan-1.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Wow I have that plate at goes on the rear diff and the gnx gauges. Never knew that was part of a package to make it a gnx rear. Thanks for the pic that pretty cool.