Weird Buzzing/Whining

Cale22

Doh!
Hey everyone,

Just recently, whenever I start to get into the throttle (about half throttle and anything higher) I hear a loud high pitched buzzing/whining coming from the A/C vent/Dash area. It's not coming from the engine and it does not sound like a vac. leak. Maybe an electric problem? Any ideas? Thank you.

i think my fathers TT/A is having the same sound. im not sure though. let me go drive it around the block really quick and i will get back to you. :D

These old cars make all kinds of freakin noises and rattles inside. Just have to zone them out.

I've had a similar noise, almost like a high pitch beep or buzz noise that I couldnt pin point. It almost sounds like an air harmonic of some sort, under normal light acceleration. Who the heck knows.

well as long as it has not been found to be something serious then i guess i wont worry about it either.

Yeah these damn cars make all kind of weird noises. It's not causing any knock, but I don't know if its hurting performance at all? I wish I could tune it out, but when the windows are up its LOUD. It only happens as I am under heavy acceleration and it gets worse as I get more into it.

My friends GN had a crackling whine kinda sounded like an electrical spark type of noise coming from dash when he got on it.
Turned out to be a blown head gasket. It blew out away from the water ports so there was no oil/water issue.

Hopefully, this is not your case. But it took awhile for him to figure it out and it does sound similiar to yours.

good luck

could also be something to do with the radio and spark plug wires do you have after market sparkplug wires

FWIW & IMHO:
Downpipe. Have someone sit in your car with the motor running, in park, while you look around the motor. Rev or have him rev the motor until you hear the noise, get a very large screwdriver or something similiar to a broomhandle but stronger and apply pressure against the downpipe at various angles and pressure points till you locate the noise. I had a sililiar noise that I would have sworn was coming from the driver side motor area. Mine would make a slightly obnoxious aggravating buzz, humm, rattle or call it what you want. My mechanic started prying around the downpipe while I revved the motor till the noise appeared. He pried on the downpipe with a large screwdriver until the noise went away permanantly. FWIW , mine only made a noise when I was just starting to get into the throttle like for everyday driving, when the wheels were turning left or straight, never right. I would have sworn that it was a noisy steering box due to the car sitting for long periods of time. Go figure. Harmonic vibrations of the downpipe at certain rpm levels.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. It really does not sound like it's coming from the engine bay though, it sounds like it's coming straight from the dash. Very strange :(

i would have to say that my noise is also coming straight from the dash. i think it may have something to do with the trip meter since it no longer functions.

my car seems to make that same kinda noise to, only when i throw my blinkers on, it changes, i know mine is an electrical cuz why else would it do that, doesnt really seem to be hurting my car in anyway, so whenever i hear it and am with a friend, i make fun of it, good luck on finding out what it is tho.

Try this....

Speedo cable. I've heard speedo cables whining and making all kinds of wierd noises before. And they will get louder with acceleration too.