weird boost problem??

turbotoyz

under reconstruction!
i have a new TE44 and new solnoid and hose assembly i have the rod almost all the way backed off and i am still goin up to 15psi of boost but as it gets to 15 it starts to fluciate rapiadly what causes this and how do i stop it?:confused:

problem

check to make sure the Y hose is properly connected, you may have it reversed....

*wiped cam lobe

*wastegate actuator too loose....allowing exhaust pressure to push puck open WITHOUT the actuator doing its job.

*chip or ECM problem

*wastegate hole too small, may possibly need to go to larger downpipe with larger puck, or ported elbos with larger puck.

*Would check the wastegate actuator first, try tightening it up, see what the results are and post back here..if the puck is hanging open without the car running, you need to tighten it up and pre load the actuator...start out by tightening the actuator rod until (with the puck completely closed) you can JUST slip the actuator shaft over the puck arm.....then go one turn....this should net around 12-15 psi with HD actuator. also you may have gotten a bad actuator....with possibly too much spring pressure, swap your stock adjustable back on the car and see if you have the same problem.

*also I have seen turbo 3.8s with problems in the trans department...(torque converters) being too tight-->not enough stall, causing slow spool, and major boost flutter and reversion in intake manifold.

Hope this helps

The generally accepted procedure for minimum boost setting of the actuator rod is to screw the end in until the hole is approx 1/8" from the stud on the waste gate shaft. You should have to pull it onto the shaft. It should not just drop on.
Minimum boost you will get if you have a heavy duty actuator is 17lbs. A stock style non heavy duty actuator can net you as low as 12lbs. Big difference in internal spring tension on the actuators.
If this is a stock turbo with an untouched wastegate hole, I would open it up to .900". No more than that. The main warning sign of the hole being too small would be boost creep which is when the waste gate can no longer bleed off enough boost to control it. My question for you is why would you want to run less than 15lbs? You do realize that the TE44 wont give you any performance gain until you start going higher in boost levels?

Originally posted by turbotoyz
i have a new TE44 and new solnoid and hose assembly i have the rod almost all the way backed off and i am still goin up to 15psi of boost but as it gets to 15 it starts to fluciate rapiadly what causes this and how do i stop it?:confused:

Make sure your hose assembly has an orifice of the correct size (0.050") and it's properly located in the hose (orfice in line going to actuator). I believe a properly sized orifice helps to "modulate" the fluctuations within the system...

what i was trying to do is get it to a safe level so i can start to tune the rest with out worrying if i have too much boost for the amount of fuel i am running. The restrictor side goin to the act and the stright is goin to the turbo. The cam is a brand new cam and lifters are new and pushrods are new. i will add 2 lbs to what i have and see what it goes to at WOT thanks for all your replys will write back later :)