Weber Full Race Port Iron Head

NO1B4ME

Hi.... I would like to know your opinions on their Full Race Port Iron Head , they use Manley valves, cast valve guides, and they cut the exhaust valve boss to accomandate the vitton seal on the exhaust stem. What are the thoughts on this type of setup , meaning Manley over Ferrea valves, cast over bronze valve guides and using exhaust valve stem seals ?
And an overall performance report on their heads.
Thanks
Rob

Weber has been around since the begining and I am sure they are good heads. The brand of valves would make little or difference at all. To be honest I don't think there is much difference in stock valves as compared to the larger aftermarket valves. I have near the exact same set up in my car now as I did with my last car with the only differences being that my previous car had Champion irons and a 45a and this one has a TE-67 and ported irons(ported by a local engine builder) with the stock valves and they run almost identical times.

Bent Valves ?

I have found two posts regarding bent valves.....I know things like this happen but with very little information on these heads on these forums concerns me abit.... proportionately this incident level is high considering not that much talk about them.... What are the pros and cons on using aluminum heads for the street with a yearly usaged of about a 1000 miles ?

Weber heads

I have them, they work great, if ur lookin for flow #s as ur guide, then Im sure U will find other heads with bigger #s, but my car runs real strong. I bought from them originally because I liked the customer sevice/advice when I called to inquire. 125mph so far and still tuning.

I have found two posts regarding bent valves.....I know things like this happen but with very little information on these heads on these forums concerns me abit.... proportionately this incident level is high considering not that much talk about them.... What are the pros and cons on using aluminum heads for the street with a yearly usaged of about a 1000 miles ?

I can't think of any reason how some someone could bent a valve without some sort of mechanical binding. People have gone low 10's at 130mph plus with sotck valves with no problems. Big aftermarket valves have became the standard in the last 5 or so years but in the beginning people went fast with sotck valves all the time with no problems. In the early 90's there was an article in the GSExtra that showed back to back dyno tests with ported irons with stock valves vs ported irons with the biggers valves and there was less than 5 hp difference on a 3.8. I think or a larger displacement motor big vlaves would make a bigger difference.

Plan Delayed......

I'm still researching, my plan is a little delayed now and I should be back into in a few weeks.... more pressing issues arose rather unexpectedly :mad: :mad: I feel very confident with the Weber Irons thou :smile: when time arrives.
Thanks
Rob

Contrary to what you may read, low lift numbers are pretty important with forced induction engines. I would recommend that whatever you decide to go with, do not use perfect circle style teflon valve seals, or bronze guides/liners. Use iron guides/liners, and fel-pro stock style seals. Ive recommended to many people that they stick with the stock size valves, (bigger valves hurt flow if you dont increase the bore on alot of engines) but do a 3 angle back cut on them, as well as alot of valve pocket work. You want a Serdi cut seat, where it starts with a 15, goes to a 45, then does a airfoil shaped curve into the pocket, instead of a straight 60 and a 75 like the old school stone grinder guys use (I used to do stones, then moved to a Serdi and there was no comparison at all when considering the huge low lift flow increases) Then raise both ports to the gasket, while only removing flash from the floors. Polish a smooth curve on the short side radius with NO flat spots, and remove ALL sharp edges, especially in the valve pocket. Increase the width of the ports, out to the gasket, at the lower end of the port, and only remove flash from the sides, on the roof of the port. You'll end up with a trapezoidal shaped runner. This will give you a higher average flow rate throughout the runner, as opposed to all the velocity being in the roof and the inner curve of the runner. The floor is normally somewhat dead, and this will move the air mass more toward the center and gain you alot of flow without killing velocity. And flow bench numbers arent everything. A flow bench isnt dynamic. The vacuum signal on an engine is a curve and a spike, and a reversion, and a drop, etc.....and a flow bench cant simulate it.