weather stripping install tips

Reaper

Pit Bitch
I just bought some weather stripping for my T Top GN. i know its not hard, however i would like some tips and maybe some links to some detailed instructions. i looked at GNTTYPE.COM and i could not find any thing.

thanks for the help.

Dathan

Ttop weatherstripping

I replaced mine last year. In my case it was not easy. You may run into rust problems in the Ttops and that involves much more work. I had to use fibreglass bodyfiller to repair rust through areas above the windshield.
Other than that it is recommended that you wash the weatherstripping and let sit in the sun and straighten out the kinks before you install it. I installed mine without the 3M adhesive and adjusted the windows and doors and drove the car for week before actually applying the adhesive so that I could make minor adjustments after letting it get set into the tracks. You may have to shim up the tracks under the Ttop glass. I didn't and in winter the rubber shrinks and I get airinfiltration and noise.
I suggest that you not rush the job and spend extra time on your prep work.
HTH
Peter

I am also interested in some directions on how to properly uninstall and install the t top weatherstripping.

Ron

Grim Reaper I just did this last year on my GN...if you can make it out to Pavillions Saturday you can take a look at it and see what you think...I can give you details of exactly what I had to do...as 3POINT8 stated it's not something you want to rush through but rather take your time....you must get all the old adhesive off for a good seal which is very time consuming...I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive...put in on...let it soak then scrape off the adhesive using a plastic putty knife...a metal one will scratch the trim pieces...I ground the plastic knife edge sharp which helped when scraping...if you find rust underneath which I guarantee you will unless it's never seen water then repair the areas and coat liberally with POR-15...once everything is cleaned up..etc then test fit the weatherstrip before glueing in place...it will have to be stretched in certain areas...once satisfied with fit...glue in place using 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive...also get some of the 3M black caulk...it's the black sticky stuff that's used for the T-Tops...seals up the front and back of the center piece...corners in front and back...etc...you'll see where the stuff is when you pull off the weatherstrip...just replace the old caulk with new...one important note...if you remove any of the trim pieces be very careful...they are all discontinued...you might be able to get some from one of the used parts guys but I wouldn't take the chance
...don't remove them unless you absolutely have to...I also
worked on one side at a time and removed the front seat for the side I was working on...it allowed me to stand in the interior and work on it a lot easier especially the scraping of old adhesive...I also laid plastic sheeting over the whole interior...

hey Scott.. sorry but i have every family member that i know coming in to town this weekend... i am overjoyed!maybe next week i would love to have some one walk me through it.

email me and we'll set up a time.

Dathan