weak battery?

gmmuscle

Have noticed my battery losing voltage each night. Scanmaster says charging 13.5-14.5 so it seems the alt. is putting out. Just checked battery and with engine off, it was 12.2 and if I check it every 6 hours or so it drops a few 10ths, although do not recall falling below 12v. When charging the battery and setting on 6A/12v setting goes to almost full scale deflection and takes most of the night to get back to 0.

Had Advance Auto do a charging system check and alt and batt fell in the "Good" range.

Followed the link Gary1970 posted on parasitic drains and had a .25 reading on the 10A setting. Did not go through and pull each fuse to find it, (lazy), but when making the electrical connection with the meter probes, I got the "ding" like when putting key in ign. Which fuse controls this, and is the parasitic drain too high?

The battery is from 2007 and do not want to just throw a new battery at the problem.

Carl

250ma is a little high. It's usually in the 20ma range. I don't know what you have for accessories, alarms, ect. 12-12.2 volts at rest is normal. If the car sits for a couple of days does the battery run down?

Check your cigarette lighter. That's where my issue was. Also look at the Fan delay relay if you still have it installed.

So, how exactly do u "check" the cig lighter? What am I looking for? I've got a drain also...and does any one have a pic of the fan relay?
Thanks

So, how exactly do u "check" the cig lighter? What am I looking for? I've got a drain also...and does any one have a pic of the fan relay?
Thanks
The fan delay relay is the big one on the drivers fender. Just unplug both connectors. If it is the stock one it is a common cause of parasitic draw. If you have a 160 t'stat you really do not need this.

Stock radio? unplug it and see if the drain goes away
If its that you'll have to do a search for the known fix.

No the factory radio is long gone...but the electrical system is kind of a mess under the hood. I can't tell if this is the relay or not and what's the plug that is just laying there?
a3c41c41.jpg