Water Wetter

LTNG KLLR

who here uses water wetter? how do you guys mix it? just picked some up from pep boy 3 bucks for 12 ounces.

It does not work as well as RMI-25 and if you try to use it with straight distilled water, it will lead to corrosion rapidly unless you supplement some waterpump lubricant into the radiator.

If you mix it with antifreeze, it does not do much.

Otherwise use as directed on the bottle.

$3:eek: We pay $15 for this up here in Taxedtodeathland! Add 2 containers, top up with distilled water and enjoy.
Jim

Based on recommendations from Stewart Water Pumps (have one on my Corvette) I am running straight distilled water with nothing else but a bottle of Prestone water pump lube/anti-corrosion. Temps are ridiculously low even here in Houston, although it's not the hot season yet...
Some claim that water wetter is causes lubricity problems. I do know that a freshly rebuilt water pump didn't last 500 miles when I was running water wetter and distilled water, failed bearing. Not sure if that was the cause, although the pump was a professionally rebuilt GM housing.
Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff
Based on recommendations from Stewart Water Pumps (have one on my Corvette) I am running straight distilled water with nothing else but a bottle of Prestone water pump lube/anti-corrosion.......Jeff

One would think that Stewart people would have good info on cooling systems, but guess they have not discovered RMI-25 yet!
Not sure what is in the Prestone stuff, as I have seen it foam lots in the system.

As far as WW, Steve is right on as it is ok as a surficant, but running without other additives, it becomes corrosive. No one has shown, or convinced me yet, of a better radiator additive than RMI-25.

Yeah, the Prestone stuff does foam a little bit, but with the temps I'm seeing right now, no worries.
Tell me about this RMI stuff.
Jeff

I have been adding RMI since I got my new radiator 3 years ago. Yesterday I had the coolant flushed and it was super super clean.

I added rmi to the new mix too.

_BOB

I think most of us get it from Nick.

http://www.arizonagn.com/cooling_systems.htm

It is used extensively in the heavy trucking industry. It is not only an agent that promotes heat transfer like water wetter, but it is also a lubricant which promotes waterpump life, but most importantly, it contains chemicals that prevent silicates and minerals in the water from depositing themselves in the water passages of the engine or in the radiator tubes. You know how you look into a radiator that is a couple of years old and see the deposits in the ends of the tubes? It will never happen when you use RMI-25. It keeps everything in solution which means the engine will always run as cool as it did when new and the radiator will perform as new.

If you do a search on the net, you will find a lot of information on it.

Down here, we run distilled water and 8 ozs of RMI-25 in the summer and anti-freeze/distilled water plus RMI-25 in the winter.

I just got a quart in from Nick this morning...

It's great stuff and does far more than Water Wetter and prevents a layer of rust from forming which negates the benefit of Water Wetter after awhile, anyway.