Water Pumps

XLR8ER

Just a Car Guy
I'm installing a fresh engine, so figured I might as well change the water pump while its on the stand.

I called the local GM Dealership(s) and was priced $137.09.
I checked GM Parts Direct online and quote $68.54 + ship
I called Advanced Auto Parts and they have it in stock for $22.96 with lifeime warranty.

Why the difference... $137 for a GM Water Pump ?

Anybody ever have problems with after market Water Pump

XLR8ER said:
I'm installing a fresh engine, so figured I might as well change the water pump while its on the stand.

I called Advanced Auto Parts and they have it in stock for $22.96 with lifeime warranty.

Good question. I just installed a new water pump on my Grooms block, but I haven't fired it up yet. I bought it from Seturbo.com for $39 if I remember correctly. There must be some difference I suppose considering the price difference.

XLR8ER said:

The price when you called a dealer was a list price.GM parts direct can sell the same pump for cheaper because the sell soo many parts.I would get the pump from GM Parts Direct.

id go with the parts store pump, i cant see a justification for a $100+ difference in the price.....

I put a new Advance water pump on my 87 back in.....1992. I finally replaced that one about 3 years ago but not because it was bad. I was rebuilding my 180,000 plus original engine and thought that I should probably put a new pump on it. I had my original paperwork on the pump and they swapped it out under warranty with out a second glance. You won't get that from G.M.. Point being, on some things O.E.M makes a difference (electronics, etc.) and on some it doesn't, unless you are looking for total originality. All rwd 231's pretty much use the same w.p. and therefore are done well by the aftermarket (lot's of pratice). You can get good and bad parts from anybody, including the dealer. If you want concours then spend the money on G.M.. If you just want it to run right economically then buy aftermarket parts for the basics and save your money for the things that need to be G.M. like powermaster switches, egr valves, and other things that maybe unique to our cars.

well said....there are some thing i will only buy GM...but for most hard parts, aftermarket is just as good (if not better in some cases)

Thanks for all the input...
I just came back from Advanced Auto Parts with my brand New (not a rebuilt core) $22 water pump with a "lifetime warranty".
Hopefully the engine will be back in the Buick this weekend !