water injection turbo with carb

kary

We plan on using water injection on a 4.1 with 82 turbo and carb setup.

Any suggestions on where to introduce the injection?
Directly into the carb?
In the carb pletum, below the carb?
Directed into the intake at the turbo discharge bend?

Any suggestions on:
Nozzel size or type.
Pump pressure.
Controls.

Does the turbo blow thru the carb? If so I'd go after carb to avoid possible ice formation in the carb venturis.

Originally posted by Steve Hill
Does the turbo blow thru the carb? If so I'd go after carb to avoid possible ice formation in the carb venturis.

It is a factory draw thru setup.

ahhh, o.k. Forgive my ignorance with your setup.
I think it's best to inject at point of highest intake heat. I have best luck locating nozzles just prior to plenum TB. Stay away from injecting anything before turbo. After turbo=good.

Originally posted by Steve Hill
ahhh, o.k. Forgive my ignorance with your setup.
I think it's best to inject at point of highest intake heat. I have best luck locating nozzles just prior to plenum TB. Stay away from injecting anything before turbo. After turbo=good.

OK, let's say I inject just after the turbo at the bend which turns into the intake manifold. How do you select a nozzel and size it? Any suggestions?

The quantity of fluid is a non-linear relationship to boost, timing, engine load and engine static compression ratio. Of lesser influence, but also a factor, is cam timing and head type & design.
But don't panic! Realistically you can just wrap it all up as heat, and that will be close enough.
Ask yourself, What boost are you planning to run? Will this be with or without an IC? How much timing?
There are different types, or styles, of nozzles to choose from. Most all will work to some degree. I suggest you search past threads to see what others use, then homologize into your own system.
If you don't want to experiment to find what works best for your situation then maybe the SMC system is what you need. His unit seems to work ok over a wide range of variables.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the help Steve Hill and Turbo Tim. I'll search this board and try to avoid posting 1 star threads.