water in exhaust when cold

325DR

Is this normal? When I start my car in the morning, I have some water in the exhaust, enough to spray everything next to the tailpipe black. But when the car is hot, it goes away. Is this ok?

On cold mornings my T would steam for 20 minutes if I let it idle that long. Nothing is wrong with this other than it will rust out mild steel exhaust pieces.

water and sulfuric acid ar byproducts of gasoline combustion, it is norma, that is why most exhaust systems rust from the inside out, its perfectly ok, as long as it doesn't smell sweet
Grant J Farmer

Originally posted by UNGN
On cold mornings my T would steam for 20 minutes if I let it idle that long. Nothing is wrong with this other than it will rust out mild steel exhaust pieces.

What he said.

Basic chemistry:

Hydrocarbons (fuel) oxidize (burn) to form water (vapor) and carbon dioxide.

HC + O2 ---> H2O + CO2

When the pipes are cold, the water vapor condenses and water drips out. When they're hot it doesn't condense. The white clouds out the exhaust in the winter is the water vapor.

One more quick question........

Would this moisture be enough to cause a little bit of white smoke? When the car is in Park and I mash the gas for a split second, a little bit of white smoke comes out. COULD this be because of the moisture in the exhaust? Thanks again.

Nope. Is it really white smoke or vapor? It should not have vapor if the system is hot, unless it's a VERY cold day and the exhaust system doesn't get hot. Does it smell like oil burning?