Water and oil gauge upgrade question

jopaustu

Removing my old school oil and water gauge set up and replacing with electric sending units . I have a couple question perhaps you guys can answer. If i'm understanding the directions correctly for the new sending unit for oil it says to toss the old sending unit (factory) and abandon the old wiring (a 2 wire set up with a locking collar) and pull a new wire. Am i understanding this correctly? The sending units are to tie into the ignition circuit (beneath the dash? ) Suggestions on where to tie in to ignition? These are VDO purchased from Kirban btw

What i have removed associated with old sending unit. Female connector is shot btw

Attachments

• 1428156850789.jpg
    1428156850789.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 57
Did i post the in the wrong area?
Could use some of you guys expertise on the factory oil sender harness. Abandon or not? Is this just a for an idiot light or does it have a safety value? Anyway ttt.

Not sure if this helps, but I installed an electric Autometer oil and water several years ago. Don't remember instructions, but I do know we tossed the factory oil sending unit and taped up the wires and it runs fine. All we have is the autometer oil sending unit and ONE blue wire going to it; I forget where the other gage wire went; most likely to somewhere under the dash.

Still haven't put the water unit in, so it's a dumb gage for now...or maybe it's smart, but I'm dumb for not getting to it. I use the Scanmaster to check water temp.

Bob