Watch out for Mark Burton, he will rip you off!

tt_skylark

I am not sure where to post this but I feel it is my duty to make anyone who would do business with Mark Burton aware of his history and ethics.

A little background, I am building a 1965 Buick skylark with a Buick 350, I was very interested in forced induction. This is when I met Mark Burton, I had many conversations with Mark Burton about the space constraints in my engine bay after the motor swap, he assured me that he could make a custom kit to meet my needs. Through MANY emails/phone calls back and forth the exact specifications were come to, I sent him VERY specific measurements and many photos.
Fast forward to almost 1 YEAR AFTER FULL PAYMENT and a lot of patients/understanding on my part the parts finally arrived,almost the same day they arrived Mark Burton called me and asked if I would please give him a good report on the V8Buick board, this mistake was on me, before I even dry fitted the system I gave him good reviews, based on the person I had spoken to so many times.

Once I was able to get the project in a position to fit the turbo kit I realized that he had not made any of the changes that were required, discussed and paid for. The parts i received were just the standard that he had been making form the same jig! I tried several times to fix this and the best Mark could come up with was I would pay to ship the manifolds back to him and he would weld an indentation into them to hopefully clear the points of contact, this would have GREATLY reduced the already dismal flow characteristics of these manifolds.
I advised him that this would not be acceptable and that I would require a refund as the parts I received were not the parts I ordered and paid for.

Life took an unexpected turn and this project had to be put on hold once I was diagnosed with Cancer! Lucky for me I am still alive. I feel that this was exploited by Mark as he allowed this issue to just fade off....
What would you do if you had a customer who was very unhappy with what you produced, what if what you produced was not what the customer ordered, you would say you were sorry and do what ever it took to right the wrong you had created! Not just hope it would go away.

On closed inspection the total parts of this kit would add up to about $400, the cheapest knock off turbos/waistgates on the market and the manifolds are very amateur, not what you would expect from the so called professional and especially not for the cost, $2400+tax/shipping! I got a box of $400 turbos/waistgates some rusty hardware and some cutup iron box tubing called turbo manifolds. The transitions from the head to the manifold is very jagged, then into a right angle turn, onto yet another jagged right angle turn that leaves the exhaust pulses fighting each other and a terrible stepped transition toward the turbo. Then the waist gate plumbing is directly in line of the exhaust from the turbo, the waist gate right where the exhaust would exit the turbo! Now I see why he would not send my close up pictures of the system.

MY ADVISE TO ANYONE WHO WOULD THINK ABOUT DOING BUSINESS WITH MARK BURTON IS DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!
I am not the only one who he has hung out to dry, he is more than happy to talk a big game and eager to take your money but when it is time to deliver lets just sat it falls way short! I have tried my best to leave emotion out of these statements.
I will post some detailed pictures as soon as I can so anyone who reads this will have a way to quantify my statements.
I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum or place, please advise me if I should move it:idea2:

Sorry for your problems. This is prolly not the right forum to post in though, as very people check in here...

Sorry to hear about you having issues with his kit. This was discussed before on a few other forums about his "kit" he is selling. I can't seem to remember where that was...

Where would be the best place for me to put this information?

I wanted others to be aware of his practices before someone else is taken advantage of! The Buick community is a small one and people like this should be exposed and should not be tolerated...

Thanks guys!

Here are the pics to validate my statements

Here are some of the photos I promised to validate all statements I have posted.

As you can see the waist gate plumbing is right where the down stream exhaust should be, not to mention it would leave no place for the exhaust from the waist gate to go.

The exit from the log portion of the manifold leaves the exhaust pulses from the front cylinder fighting the rest.

You can see the transitions from the log to the area that would feed the turbine leaves more than just a little to be desired, not so good for even mediocre flow.

I'm sure a turbine spinning at over 30'000 RPM will love when this slag and bits of wire start letting loose.

Now I see why you don't find any detailed photos of these products online, if you did would you buy this!?

All these shortcomings aside the main issue that I find unacceptable is the fact that I ordered a set that I specifically ordered a set that would be 1 7/8" thick to work within my constraints rather than the 2 1/2" thick, what i received was the normal set not what I ordered or was promised.

I apologize to all for the original positive review I posted as I had not fully inspected the product....
Now that I have and this has been the outcome so far I feel it is my duty to help others!

Please if you feel I am off base here let me know and I am happy to answer and questions!

Attachments

• offset in manifold.jpg
    offset in manifold.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 201
  • manifold poor flow pic.jpg
    manifold poor flow pic.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 202
  • tubo manifold weld pic.jpg
    tubo manifold weld pic.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 202
  • waist gate manifold pic.jpg
    waist gate manifold pic.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 201
Um, is that supposed to be a header/ manifold? I have seen some cheesy log manifolds but wow....

Sorry about the bad luck...

Um, is that supposed to be a header/ manifold? I have seen some cheesy log manifolds but wow....

Sorry about the bad luck...

It looks like he took a valve cover and then in the dark started to weld some boxed steel on to it. I coulda made a similar set with some cardboard and a hot glue gun.

Any chance of you getting your money back for this?