Wastegate Solenoid?

turbogimp

How important is the Wastegate Solenoid with an aftermarket turbo and adj. wastegate? my problem is that the stupid prev. owner had the vac lines hooked up wrong. he had the Wastegate Solenoid t'ed in to the PCV and so i fiugured that out and ran them the correct way and as soon as i boosted i heard a loud pop. my car then wanted to boost to 26psi. i found that the Wastegate Solenoid now became a vac leak. so i then did just a compresser to wastegate line and boost psi is normal again. so my question is does the Wastegate Solenoid really matter? thanks in advance.

Good Question!I wish I could help.This is probably one of the least understood subjects about these "hot air" cars.I would like to know a little more of how it actually works too!TTT

ya know its funny that my car runs the same if not better than it did before i did this. basicly no more vac leaks. anyone with ideas please let us know. Thanks

I have no idea how that damn thing works either!! But, I have my wastegate line hooked up the same way. All I know is that with it hooked up this way.....you will have the same boost levels through out all the gears. Stock setup would take a little boost out in the higher gears. I am not sure if it serves more purpose then that:confused:

where is this wastegate solenoid located? lol i always thought the waste gate solenoid was that rod that hooks up to the puck attached wit that roundish thing wit 2 small nipples for vacumm lines sometimes replaced wit the aftermarket adjustable one am i right or wrong on the wastegate solenoid? thanx

The waste gat solinoid on an 85 GN is on top of the drivers side valve cover. The waste gate actuator is the arm adjusted pushrod which opens the exhaust into the turbo. Brad

Without the wastegate solenoid.
You will have what ever boost the wastegate actuator is set at in ALL gears.
With the wastegate solenoid it will bleed off boost in higher gears.
This occurs at wastegate actuator setting or above.
This is determined by rpm,tps,etc factored in the ecm/chip.
Different factors for 3rd and fourth gear.
Most aftermarket chips decrease boost with load on the motor/higher gear.

thanx guys for clarifying that for me and breakin it down like that see i had no idea wat it was or where it was located or even wat it did, knowing wat i just read and learned im gonna check mine out make sure its all ok hopefullt i find it lol im sure iw ill

so basicly what i understand is that its not really that important if you want to have the same boost level in all gears. also as much as i monitor boost and fuel pressure than im ok for now right? and thanks for all that info.