Wastegate/boost control

SpooledUp

Haulin Ass with Class
I am running a Ta49 with an adjustable wastegate and wanted to turn up be boost after doing all of my spring maintenance on my car. The problem is that I can only get 15-16 lbs of boost even with the rod shortened all of the way. Anyone have ideas? Do I have to run a blessed valve to get more boost out of it?

Is the wastegate solenoid working and hoses hooked up properly? do you have the Y connector, and one port of the wastegate open?

Not sure ifthe solenoid is working correctly. How do I test that? Y connector is still there and one port is open on the WG solenoid.

Not sure ifthe solenoid is working correctly. How do I test that? Y connector is still there and one port is open on the WG solenoid.

hmmm...

You could begin a "rule-out" procedure. Hook the WG up directly to the turbo, eliminating the WG actuator/Y/hoses from the mix. If you get the same boost level, then you know that the solenoid isn't working, isn't wired right, or the ECM/chip isn't using it.

You mean hook up the wastegate up directly to the turbo and eliminate the solenoid? I was jus thinking of hooking up a bleeder valve and adjusting the boost with that. The wiring to the WG solenoid is oem so I don't think that is the issue. The solenoid is the original so it could be he culprit so would like to eliminate that.

Yes, one vac line straight from turbo to actuator. If your boost remains the same, then you know something is wrong with the Y plumbing/solenoid/chip....go from there.

Yes, tuner mode. Can you run the vac hose like that and just leave it or is it unsafe for daily driving usage?

It's the most safe....no outside variables that can alter your boost. You might even see a lazier spoolup....something typically not desired. :D

I just did this a few weeks ago.......

I have the same turbo and adj. wastegate with rjc boost style controller. I was only getting 15psi max. Process of elimination=my passenger side stock header had two cracks.:eek: One between the bellows by the turbo, and one just before the other set of bellows by the crossover. Replaced header and all is well.:D
One word of caution, ensure you have a good boost guage and knock sensor, when you run it straight like that. This turbo spools quick and only your right foot will control how high it goes.:eek:

HTH

Yeah. I hope that is not the issue with mine but I know that is a common problem with our cars.

Boost issue update

I hooked up the wastegate directly to the turbo (tuner style) and I still only get 15-16 lbs. I do not hear an exhaust leak of any kind but who knows. What should I be looking for next?

No other changes except plumbed "tuner style", and the boost level remained the same.

That tells me that the solenoid isn't working, the hose is clogged, or the chip doesn't pulse the solenoid. I'm not sure what you would want to do next...short of obtaining another solenoid for testing.

I hooked up the wastegate directly to the turbo (tuner style) and I still only get 15-16 lbs. I do not hear an exhaust leak of any kind but who knows. What should I be looking for next?

could be a bad waste gate
check for exhaust leak
I had a manifold exhaust leak and down pipe gasket leaking on mine.
I fixed it and hooked up a bleeder valve on my y-hose and eliminated solonoid,set the boost to 17lbs on rod and bleed it from there.works perfect..
I run the turbonectics boost/bleeder valve.

I didn't see what type of dp you're running but check to see that the wastegate actuator/flap is moving freely and not stuck open.

I dont know the boost level that is programed into the chip so that could be the problem. Like I said, I dont hear an exhaust leak but that doesnt mean that there is none there. The boost solenoid is OEM from 87 so that could be a problem. The WG flap is moving freely and it is a stock downpipe. I thing I will try and get another solenoid to test that and then possibly try a different chip. Thanks for your help guys!