Waste setup and Terry Houston Downpipe??

Realspool

I have a Racegate near the middle of my crossover pipe closer to the driver's side.I had a 60-1 Turbo which was not a great street Turbo.It spooled slow and throttle response was poor.I sold the 60-1 and bought the popular PTE-44 Turbo which i liked much better.It spooled better but still had some unwanted lag.I fixed that problem by switching the Precision .63 Exhaust housing and putting a Garrett .63 exhaust Housing on the 44.It gave the car excellent street manners,great throttle response,just alot more fun on the street to drive.Anyway I have a boost control set up and valve inside the car.The car maxes at 17lbs of boost which is perfect for the street.Since i switched to a 60-1 to the PTE-44 i can't adjust boost with the inside boost controller.The PTE-44 has a vacuum line going from the wastegate directly to the Turbo port.On the 60-1 HI FI there was no rubber line or vacuum port there.Is that the reason why i can't adjust the boost from inside the car,or is it that it just won't work with the TE-44's,just a totally diffrent set up???Would the Terry Houston Downpipe be the best for me even though I won't be able to adjust it from inside the car???Would the THDP even allow for even better spooling since the wastegate is so close to the turbo while my Racegate is so far away???Hope someone can help me with this.

THDP is expensive but most guys seem to like that waste gate type of set up even though boost can't be controlled inside the car???

i could control it inside the car very easily... quite simple actually

i turned the wategate arm or actuator or whatever you call it all the way tight... to like 30psi or whatever the max is...

then i ran the vacuum lines from the turbo and actuator into the STOCK Y fitting... then the line coming out the other end of the Y i ran to the inside the car boost controller and bled off the excess pressure that way... it worked very well but was super hard to adjust... my controller was 1/4 turn = 5 psi and very hard to get where i wanted...

well good luck!

If you still have the Racegate on the crossover, take the stock wastegate actuator and make it as tight as possible to keep the puck in THDP closed. If there is enough pressure, the turbo exhaust pressure will open the puck and you will close boost. If there is no port on the turbo just T into the closest vacuum line.

Also you might have a mis-aligned puck on the THDP. The Racegate might also need to be cleaned to seal correctly. The poppet valve on the Racegate is Stainless while the housing is steel and it starts to rust thus sealing fully. Every time I have sent my Racegate back to Turbonectics for servicing, they charged me $50 and sent me a new one.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Originally posted by 87ttypeV8
i could control it inside the car very easily... quite simple actually

i turned the wategate arm or actuator or whatever you call it all the way tight... to like 30psi or whatever the max is...

then i ran the vacuum lines from the turbo and actuator into the STOCK Y fitting... then the line coming out the other end of the Y i ran to the inside the car boost controller and bled off the excess pressure that way... it worked very well but was super hard to adjust... my controller was 1/4 turn = 5 psi and very hard to get where i wanted...

well good luck!
Sounds like its worth a try because i have not touched the Raceegate I have.Maybe if i try to tighten the one screw all the way tight maybe the boost control inside the car will work, who knows.

I don't have the Terry houston Downpipe yet just a 3inch downpipe with no wastegate.The racegate or wastegate is near the middle of the crossover pipe.

Originally posted by Realspool
Since i switched to a 60-1 to the PTE-44 i can't adjust boost with the inside boost controller.The PTE-44 has a vacuum line going from the wastegate directly to the Turbo port.On the 60-1 HI FI there was no rubber line or vacuum port there.Is that the reason why i can't adjust the boost from inside the car,or is it that it just won't work with the TE-44's,just a totally diffrent set up???Would the Terry Houston Downpipe be the best for me even though I won't be able to adjust it from inside the car???Would the THDP even allow for even better spooling since the wastegate is so close to the turbo while my Racegate is so far away???Hope someone can help me with this.