Was the 3.27 gears only used in the TTA ?

cottonpicker14

I may be needing a ring and pinion and understand that the gear ratio is 3.27 ? If so, was the TTA the only rear that the 3.27 gears came in ?
Thanks

I may be needing a ring and pinion and understand that the gear ratio is 3.27 ? If so, was the TTA the only rear that the 3.27 gears came in ?
Thanks

The Borg Warner 9 bolt rear end was used in 1987-1989 IROC-Z, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA equipped with either an LB9/M5 with G92 option or L98/A4 drivetrain combos. Also in some 1986 Firebird WS6 cars.

The TTA rear is the same 3.27 9 bolt found behind L98/A4 cars with G92 option. Non G92 cars got the same 9 bolt but with 2.77 gears. LB9/M5 cars with G92 got 3.45 gears.

By the way G92 was not an option on GTA's(and thus TTA's)because the G92 rear was part of the Y84 package. So all 1988 and 1989 GTA(along with most 1987)had the 9 bolt, and L98 cars got 3.27 gears.

There was a place in NJ called Camaro Firebird inc. In west paterson I believe. They used to deal only in those parts. They have since branched out but may have stuff lying around.

Why do you think you need a ring and pinion? I've owned two tta's and a few tpi cars and the posi goes all the time(becoming a peg leg), but haven't seen to many ring gear failures........

I dont know if I really need one yet, but I figured if I do, I would like to know how many teeth are on the ring and pinion. I heard a slight whine from the rear once, and havent heard it again.

if there is no clunking or chatter and it's just the whine it's normal! It's not good that it whines, but I've seen 9 bolts with 20,000 miles on them that whine.

If you can lay down two black streaks while spinning the tires the posi might be in good shape.

GM used to sell an additive for the rears a while back to throw in during fluid changes.

HTH!

One of the members on Third Gen offered me a set he has for $150.00 Claims its out of a 3 series and definately are 3.27 Is that price seem right ?