Wanting to build a boosted 4thgen 3.8... which to use?

tpivette89

So, after working on my 97' Regal GS (and having some prior experience with modding a hotair 85' GN), the 3.8 bug has bit me hard. While the Buick is fun, I feel the FWD platform is limited (that, and I love to drive stick). So I'm looking for a 4thgen F-body to do the RWD/3.8 boosted thing.

My question is this: would it be a pain to take a 3.4 f-body and drop a 3.8 into it? Or would it be better to start with a 3.8 car right off the bat? I would be swapping whichever engine with a L67 long block, then the plan would be to turbo/intercool it. Around here, the 3.4 cars are almost 50% cheaper than the 3.8s... but if it's going to be more work/more cost to do the 3.4 - 3.8 swap vs just getting a 3.8 car to start with, then thats the route I'd be going.

Anyone done either build, or can point me towards some info?

I am going to be listing a 200k 97 firebird 3800 auto car for $800 firm , it has a fueling or ignition problem havent looked into it and likely wont since i just picked up an ls1/6 speed f body , I have had it running and yard driven it.

may have a title issue since they signed as buyer then crossed it out and signed as seller - its obvious what happened looking at it but the title may be toilet paper and cleaning it may take someone to run it through as abandoned , mechanics lein or something along those lines....

Ivegot some better pics but havent added them to my photobucket and I put some tires that hold air on it , they were slashed the sellers cousin forgot to take his meds lol

Photo0797.jpg

Photo0799.jpg

Photo0798.jpg

Looking for something more local (been browsing the craigslist/forum classifieds about 75 miles away from me). Car must run and drive (as per my wife - no non running cars, she dictates).

Looks like the 3.8 cars are the way to go, as my research has unveiled it wouldn't be cost effective to swap a 3.8 where a 3.4 once resided.

The search continues...

Ended up purchasing a 98' LS1/4L60E fbody instead. Deal was too good to pass up. Guess the boosted 3.8 fbody idea will have to wait...