vin numbers for 84 TR's..

novaderrik

i just drove my T the 35 miles from my mom's place where it has been sitting parked since mid October to put it in the garage here.. it had a foot of snow on it- i was gonna take a pic and post it here, but it would have made some of you cry and question my ability to own this car..
anyways, while i was driving i got to wondering if my car was an early or late build car and that it would be kind of cool to see the vin's and build dates of the other turbocharged 84's out there and how many of them are still around. so i'm gonna post the last 6 digits of my car's vin here and anyone else can post up theirs, along with the build date if they know it. i don't know the build date on mine, since the sticker in the door jamb is faded. maybe a cross reference with other vins with known build dates will help me pin down if it's an early or late 84 car.

my vin is 487619 and it is a T Type

The build date is stamped on the cowl tag. Check the upper left corner. I document VINs. The 84 Regal is a strange beast compared to the 85-87 Regals. The VIN seqeunce ranges from the 400,000 to the 600,000s. I think you'll find yours is fairly early as far as build date goes.:smile:

here's what my trim tag looks like.. i made this really quick and dirty in MS Paint. i assume the "84 12D" is the date code.
2848258050033772906S200x200Q85.jpg

so, do i have one of the first of the first SEFI equipped GM cars?

The build date should start with the letter E. 12D is 4th week of December which would be in 1983 if you have an 84. Blue exterior with a blue split bench T-Type. And all 1984 Turbo Regals were assembled in Flint which is the letter H between the model (4GJ47) and Fisher Body Number (123106). I have a car on the lot that was built on the second week in May and I'll post the VIN sequence later to give you an idea of the spread. Usually the model year starts in July. So yours appears to be in the middle.

I don't know my build date, due to the driver's door being replaced at some point, but my VIN reads: 539403, and I know it's a GN due to the trunk lid codes and the Lear Siegler interior...hope this helps ;)

i was just playing with a cheap cad program to make a file to take to work and laser cut some power 6 logos out of some scrap stainless tomorrow and was googling for some good images, and ran across a hot air registry page i put my info on almost 5 years ago... no build dates, but it shows a pretty good spread of vins.
Hot Air Buick Registry

my 84 vin is 619232

cowl tag is E 070

so if i understand correctly, its a pretty late build date for a 84?