Very odd turbo setup on ebay. need help knowing what it is.

gofastbobby

My dad has been looking for a turbo 3.8 for a long time to put into a GN he purchased without an engine 6 or 7 years ago. He told me if I could do some research into this oddball thing on ebay, and to see if I could come up with what it really is. He wants something affordable, and since this doesn't run he thinks he might be able to get it for 1200 or 1300 dollars. Any opinions?

I've been poking around this forum since last night, and I'm pretty impressed with the knowledge here. I can't wait to get a 3.8 turbocharged engine and build it with my dad.

Thank you for your time.

My dad has been looking for a turbo 3.8 for a long time to put into a GN he purchased without an engine 6 or 7 years ago. He told me if I could do some research into this oddball thing on ebay, and to see if I could come up with what it really is. He wants something affordable, and since this doesn't run he thinks he might be able to get it for 1200 or 1300 dollars. Any opinions?

I've been poking around this forum since last night, and I'm pretty impressed with the knowledge here. I can't wait to get a 3.8 turbocharged engine and build it with my dad.

Thank you for your time.

Take the link from ebay and post it up here, that will make it easier for us to look at.

Also....go to the parts for sale section. There are individuals who are selling complete running engines and working trans. Maybe this is something you want to look in to as a good alternative from ebay.

Take the link from ebay and post it up here, that will make it easier for us to look at.

Also....go to the parts for sale section. There are individuals who are selling complete running engines and working trans. Maybe this is something you want to look in to as a good alternative from ebay.

I'm sorry for that. I hope this works;
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Cherokee-1984-Jeep-3-8-Turbo-Buick-Grand-National-GN-GNX-NR_W0QQitemZ110147707896QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6281QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

eBay Motors: Jeep : Cherokee (item 110147707896 end time Jul-16-07 15:31:53 PDT)

LOL!!!! I was just looking at that car. Turbo Jeep!!! Not sure if you did any reading on the bottom, but it sounds like the motor has a blown Head Gasket. From what the seller said there is white smoke, and the car over heated. Also it that motor appears to be out of a turbo trans am.

Once you get a hold of it you win it for a good price, you will have to get rid of a rust bucket.

I don't know what you plan on spending on this car with your dad, but one thing you have to remember is the grand nationals and turbo regals are very unforgiving to your wallet. Alot of people figure that out after the fact and end up selling a half together car.

The only area of concern is the fact that the individual who owned it, has worked on it. He has even stated he does not know these motors nor how to work on them. God only knows what needs to be done on that motor.

Do you just need an engine? or the whole complete drive line?

If you need just a block you can find good one on this site. people have them and are willing to sell them.

eBay Motors: Jeep : Cherokee (item 110147707896 end time Jul-16-07 15:31:53 PDT)

LOL!!!! I was just looking at that car. Turbo Jeep!!! Not sure if you did any reading on the bottom, but it sounds like the motor has a blown Head Gasket. From what the seller said there is white smoke, and the car over heated. Also it that motor appears to be out of a turbo trans am.

Once you get a hold of it you win it for a good price, you will have to get rid of a rust bucket.

I don't know what you plan on spending on this car with your dad, but one thing you have to remember is the grand nationals and turbo regals are very unforgiving to your wallet. Alot of people figure that out after the fact and end up selling a half together car.

Well, my dad has always wanted a 3.8 and he has enough money now to buy a broken engine. Are there cheaper turbo engines on the market that would fit in a gn? Hes doing this to teach me how to build engines, then when I turn 16 I will get the car.

Well, my dad has always wanted a 3.8 and he has enough money now to buy a broken engine. Are there cheaper turbo engines on the market that would fit in a gn? Hes doing this to teach me how to build engines, then when I turn 16 I will get the car.

Do the project right, you will be much happier with that. When do you turn 16?

There are guys that have standard blocks for sale here for 200.00. they need machine work and everything. for 200.00 you get just the block. But due to the fact that your dad and yourself are working on the motor, that will save on labor costs. Depending on how patient you are, you can have a really fast car!!!

Or

You can buy that motor from ebay. Everything maybe fine, but the way it sounds its going to nead a tear down.

Or

You can buy a complete motor off Bob for 2500.00 which has everything (i dont know if he still has it/avail.) He also has a long block for sale for 800.00. I have bought parts off of Bob, and he is a good guy to deal with. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/217754-big-parts-list-parting-3-new-parts-cars.html