Valve Stem Seals on the TTA

Jan Larsson

Took my heads apart to get them cleaned and setup with my new roller rockers and beehive springs and noticed theres no valve stem seals.

Looked in the GM parts manual for the TTA and they list valve stem seals in the exhaust side only?

What do you guys use, should I install valve stem seals or not and if so on both valves or just the exhaust side?

Would felpro ss72623 be the best to use or any other brand (with part number) you recommend?

Actually you need seals on the intake not exhuast.

Make sure guides are fine.

Really with heads off.. you should take them to a competent machine shop for a simple valve job and surfacing. You should also be setting up the springs for the cam.. another reason..

Not an area I like scimping on.. especially on a brand new engine.

HTH

Actually you need seals on the intake not exhuast.

Make sure guides are fine.

Really with heads off.. you should take them to a competent machine shop for a simple valve job and surfacing. You should also be setting up the springs for the cam.. another reason..

Not an area I like scimping on.. especially on a brand new engine.

HTH

Thanks Julio, so seals only on the intake and not on the exhaust correct?

Most places like Champion here in the states install them on both just for cosmetic/customer relation issues. The intakes needs seals since there is vacuum present inside the intake port. The reason the exhuast doesnt need seals if you think about it, when the valve goes down, there is pressure in the port.. not vacuum, so oil cannot go down.

Not discounting worn valve guides where anything is possible. Hence my suggestion for machine shop.

And.. you should install at minimum a small shim under the beehive spring to keep it from digging into the head. And i'm not sure on clearance with stock umbrella seal and beehive spring. My heads have the smaller teflon seals. But those require machining to the guide to fit. You may want to look at that as well while your checking.