Valve Spring beehive bucket shims?

matt921

So I just got done building my bottom end with the long rod stroker and I moved onto my heads. I disassembled them cleaned them did all that good fun stuff. But when I installed the beehives i didn't use the stock shim. Do I have to put the stock bucket shim back in or will I be ok. This has been bothering me all day at work lol.

I believe they are there as what we call head savers , keep the spring from digging into the head , plus it pre loads the spring a little more also for seat pressure

Yeah I took my heads apart and the stock spring under it it was a large shim washer. On the head there is a machined bucket the spring sits in. But im just like uhhhh.

I think I might have just figured it out. The shim is in there to get the desired spring install height. I should probably check that instead of being a cheap ass and throwing them on. I have spent way to much money on the engine to just be a cheap ass. Some people say they use them to equalize spring pressure around the base. I just don't want to not have them and drop a valve cause I didn't install them right. I would cry if i punched a nice hole in my new engine.

I think I might have just figured it out. The shim is in there to get the desired spring install height. I should probably check that instead of being a cheap ass and throwing them on. I have spent way to much money on the engine to just be a cheap ass. Some people say they use them to equalize spring pressure around the base. I just don't want to not have them and drop a valve cause I didn't install them right. I would cry if i punched a nice hole in my new engine.

Yep I used a valve spring checker when I did mine with no guessing that way , valve spring tension is very critical on a TB , good luck with your build sounds like a killer

Thank you I hope so. I have not had very much luck with the engine when i first got it. But I'll check it when I get home. If not ill bring the heads back to work an have the machine shop check it for me.

That makes me wonder then. I know the heads have been gone thru. They have the little bronze saver guides in them. Knowing that they didn't makes me feel better. but I still need to check installed height.