Valve Spring advice.....

Nighttrain

Hey guys, I'm looking for some opinions here. I have an '87 GN daily driver with 200,000 mi. on it that I am keeping stock for the most part but do have some projects I will be doing to it. When all is done I will have a stock engine and stock turbo, with ATR dual exhaust, Walbro 340 pump and hot wire kit, 30lb green stripe injectors, adj. fuel press reg and wastegate, aftermarket chip. A lot of the basic perf. upgrade stuff that everyone recommends. My big projects will be timing chain, fuel pump and valve springs since they are still the factory ones! I had been thinking about getting the Kirban springs with the removal tool, I think they are 100lb springs, as I had read that even new, the factory springs were a little mild. However, in doing more and more reading on here I've come across some guys saying that these springs would be too much for my factory cam and might hurt it or greatly shorten its life. I'm new to all this and just trying to learn and compile a lot of expertice from you guys, so based on my goals for this engine I'm looking for as many opinions as I can get on the whole valve spring thing, including any specific recommendations on springs other than Kirban's. Thanks in advance for all your input!

Peter

Peter, the tool is a must if you are going to do it with the heads still on the engine/still in the car. For springs, I would suggest the Comp Cams springs....I believe they are the 980's.

Thanks for the advice guys, I also put this post on the main forum and it sounds like most everyone in the know agrees with you guys about the Comp Cams 980's, so looks like I'll be going with those and the tool from Kirban.

By the way Bill, I ordered the exhaust system from ATR, and part of it they make when someone places an order, so it probably won't be here until just before the weekend of Nov. 8th, but I will email you when I am more sure of the arrival date to arrange getting together.:)

Peter