Valve body

airwolf

I just installed a "non BRF" tranny and so far so good. It was built by a Florida tranny shop and the valve body modified by them. Also has a Trans Go shift kit. Shifts are pretty firm but not as firm as I'd like. The shop says this is normal because of the 2800 stall converter, which came from the same shop. This doesn't sound right to me. I want the tire chirping 1-2 shift, but this one shifts so fast that you barely even notice the upshifts! The 2-3 comes on immediately after the 1-2. I've adjusted the TV cable per the specs on the Buick websites and fine tuned it a little from there cause it wouldn't shift into overdrive til way late. Everything feels good now except for the soft shifts. Are they right about the stall making the shifts softer?? I bought this tranny as a temporary until I can afford to get a good one built next year. But I was hoping to be able to enjoy driving the car until then. Any Ideas on how to firm it up a little??? I still have my BRF tranny available but the case is cracked and front pump is broken. All other parts are good. Should I swap valve bodies or something???

Swapping valve bodies and governors would be the easiest way to straighten things out. But then there's the issue of your shift kit being installed in the other VB.

The other thing you'll need to ask the tranny shop is what servo and PR boost valves did they use? If your non-BRF unit has small boost valves and a small servo, that would account for the shift feel you have.