Vacuum pump to evacuate crankcase

BJM

Has anyone seen this done? Any idea how much of a pump is needed to accomplish it? I have heard someone mention using an LT1 electric pump for the job, would it be big enough? Maybe the turbo inlet could be used as a vacuum source drawing oil into a catch can to keep from oiling up the IC.

Any ideas?

That was done at the factory, and that is one of the first thing that people change. You get oil in the IC, and also it gets on the turbo blades, slowing down spoolup. Maybe an improved system for keeping the oil out of the intake air would work, but I think you would get oil in there no matter what.

Brian

The factory never put a catch can in place. They simply piped it straight in. I would be using a filtering device to remove the oil first.

An Idea...

Yep it can be done (I think). That is the way it is setup on the Conquest/Starion. I have one and even though it is disconnected, it was setup that way.

What they did is use a catch can like you said that empties back into the oil pan. The hose goes from the valve cover to a black container (catch can) to the turbo inlet. Then a drain hose goes from the bottom to the oil pan. I assume that the oil is sucked into the canister and stays there because of a filter in the catch can that causes the oil mist to condense and flow back into the oilpan.

Problem I can see is that you will still get some oil in the intake and since you are pulling vacuum from the crankcase, you will have vacuum at the valvecover and the oil pan. Plus (most importantly), it would be difficult to plumb on a turbo buick. On the Conquest, it is factory installed and still looks weird (which is why mine is disconnected). Let me know if you want to do it and I can send you a diagram of how it is done from the manual.

I would love to get a diagram. That would be great.

I was going to start by measuring how much vacuum the turbo inlet produced and then measure crankcase pressure next. I figured the oil could be collected in the catch can and emptied once in a while rather than let it drain by itself into the crank case.