Vacuum boost brake conversion

Robert Dean

Just wondering what the best way is to go about doing this conversion. Where do I find the parts? Is the booster and master cylinder the same as a regular regal? Can I just buy a rebuilt unit for a regular regal and it will work. (I know the brake pedal is slightly different, the hole in the pedal for the brake pin is in a different spot on the powermaster unit.) Or is it better to buy a conversion kit that comes with a pedal? What companies offer this conversion kit? I would very much appriciate any information from anyone on this subject.

You can get a loaded mc/booster combo from the parts store for around $100+core. I just drilled my pedal and made a new pin from a grade 8 bolt and made it all but permanent to the pedal with red loctite. No problems so far.

You can get a loaded mc/booster combo from the parts store for around $100+core. I just drilled my pedal and made a new pin from a grade 8 bolt and made it all but permanent to the pedal with red loctite. No problems so far.
x2
I just did this job. I got an 88 Caprice mc/booster combo from Orielly's (its beefier than the Regal one and fits fine). I also found a g-body brake pedal on eBay for like $35 shipped. I got a plastic tee from the auto parts store and tapped into the vacuum line that hooks to the charcoal canister. I bench-bled the mc and put everything back in. The brakes work better than ever now. I didn't have to bleed them at the wheels either. The whole conversion costed less than $150 and took about 3 hours.