Vac. canister question

TwinyTwin

I have a Vac. canister right behind the driver side head light and was wondering what this canister was for? I have seen a few buicks with out these canisters and thought I would ask. If I were to take it out what kind of problems would I have and is this canister really needed?

I had to move mine down to the frame to fit my Airfilter. but I think it is for Gas regulations. there is a filter on the bottom of it. not to sure what it would do if removed though

JoeNational said:
I had to move mine down to the frame to fit my Airfilter. but I think it is for Gas regulations. there is a filter on the bottom of it. not to sure what it would do if removed though

do you have any pictures of it being moved to the different location?

No, sorry. But to explain, it is bolted down to the frame right below the alt. I did not have to re-route any lines or anything. you can barely see it with the large K&N filter.

It's actually a charcoal canister. It should be filled with charcoal pellets with a filter in the bottom. It is part of the emissions mess used to expel and filter out fumes from the fuel system....That's about all I know about it.....HTH.

i mounted mine in the garbage can with all the other emission stuff. but some people mount them some where under the front bumper aera. it hooks to the gastank vent line on the frame.

SWOOOSH said:
i mounted mine in the garbage can with all the other emission stuff. but some people mount them some where under the front bumper aera. it hooks to the gastank vent line on the frame.

Well I got rid of all my other emissions stuff as well, so I guess I no longer need this?

Louster38 said:
i dont have one either, you have no reason to keep it if you want to toss it out.

What should i do about the lines? just follow them back to the tank and plug them up from there?

Don't go by my word but I believe that one is a vent line from the gas tank and the other a vacuum line. Plug the vac line but not the gas one. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will confirm this or tell me I'm a dumba$$!
HTH
Rick

my understanding was that we needed the vent line "venting" not capped off...or you could get a vented gas cap. I dunno. :confused:
I had my return and vent swapped after the car was purchased.

gas vent line

Well, dont plug it. I did that last year when I took mine off and the car died sitting at a red light. Acted like it was out of gas, took the plug out, started right up like nothing was wrong. I just tucked it to the side.

My car has BOTH a vacuum ball, and a vapor cannister. I thought that combination was pretty much standard equipment? Or maybe the vacuum ball only goes on cars with cruise control- the parts manual shows the vacuum ball on the page with the cruise.

Must use this

This vents the vapors from the gas tank. They travel throuh the charcol and filter the gas vapors. If you plug the vent line pressure will biuld up in tank. Many things could happen from the car simply shutting off. To causeing the the tank to rupture. :frown: Best bet would be to simply relocate it. Hope that helps.
DAve