Vac Brake Conversion

gmpower

:biggrin: I just got around to finishing the vacuum brake conversion for my GN. I am very pleased with the results. Since I am definitley keeping the GN, I went with all new/remanufactured parts even though junkyard parts would be much cheaper. (but I did however get the brake pedal from the junkyard)..The powerbooster I bought is the dual diaphragm setup, and I suspect it has much more assist power than a single diaphragm booster.

I am really impressed with the stopping power my new vac set up has, I was a bit skeptical since others have complained about vac set ups on this forum.

If you are looking to do a vac conversion and plan to buy the parts from a Kragen/ NAPA type of auto parts store, I suggest you buy the master cylinder and powerbooster separatley, they can be bought together as a kit together, but it would cost you an extra $60 compared to buying an individual powerbooster and an individual master cylinder and putting the two pieces together yourself. The only difference is you would have to also buy the 2 nuts that holds them together (no big deal).

So with the powerbooster, mastercylinder, used brake pedal, 3 feet of 3/4" vacuum hose, one Kirban's vacuum block with the vac brake inlet, and a large bottle of brake fluid, I spent a grand total of a bit over $200, but I was also able to sell my working powermaster to recover some of the costs:) The conversion is really straight forward and only basic tools would be needed.

I decided to go vac instead of hydroboost because I think the parts are more universal and will be more readily available and cheaper than hydroboost parts in the future.

OOH THANKS this is Great info.. I have a few questions.

I picked up a 1985 Monte SS Dual Diaphrambooster, master cyl & pedal setup.
Just ordered the TTA alum vac block.

What do I do with the POWERMASTER Connectors? Just wrap them up?

Can I pull the 30 AMP powermaster fuse?

How hard was doing the pedal? any fabbing?

OOH THANKS this is Great info.. I have a few questions.

I picked up a 1985 Monte SS Dual Diaphrambooster, master cyl & pedal setup.
Just ordered the TTA alum vac block.

What do I do with the POWERMASTER Connectors? Just wrap them up?

Can I pull the 30 AMP powermaster fuse?

How hard was doing the pedal? any fabbing?

I just disconnected the powermaster connectors, and left them wrapped up. Didnt want to cut anything in my car.;)

I just left the 30 AMP fuse in. BUT I dont see why it can't be removed if it is strictly for the powermaster.

The pedal will be a direct replacement, Since yours is for a Monte SS. Very awkward to remove and install, because of a tight working area, but very straight forward. You would only need to fab if you choose to use your existing GN pedal, then you need to drill one new hole in it to line it up with the powerbooster. I removed the driver's seat to get to the area where the pedal bolts to easier. Don't think I could have reached it without removing the driver's seat.

Good luck with the conversion. I'm sure you will be happy with it once it's done.

The pedal will be a direct replacement, Since yours is for a Monte SS. Very awkward to remove and install, because of a tight working area, but very straight forward. You would only need to fab if you choose to use your existing GN pedal, then you need to drill one new hole in it to line it up with the powerbooster. I removed the driver's seat to get to the area where the pedal bolts to easier. Don't think I could have reached it without removing the driver's seat.

Good luck with the conversion. I'm sure you will be happy with it once it's done.

It's has been a while since I did mine but I remember taking the whole pedal assembly/bracket out and changing the pedal on the bench. If you have the four bolts off that held on the powermaster there is only one more bolt that holds the assembly in under the dash. This last bolt goes straight up and attaches to the dash. Made changing the pedal a lot easier compared to standing on your head. :cool:

Yeah I wished I had gone this route when I 1st had issues. I was bullheaded & bought a reman PM from Kirban/Cardone.. It is under warrenty so Dennis will be getting this back. I will keep it with th car if I ever decide to go back to stock.

It's has been a while since I did mine but I remember taking the whole pedal assembly/bracket out and changing the pedal on the bench. If you have the four bolts off that held on the powermaster there is only one more bolt that holds the assembly in under the dash. This last bolt goes straight up and attaches to the dash. Made changing the pedal a lot easier compared to standing on your head. :cool:

+1

Did the same thing...no sense messing with the bushings and sleeve while the bracket is in the car. The PM connections just tuck out of the way.

As far as the vacuum connection goes, I just put a "T" fitting into the PCV hose. Works fine. Just make sure that the check valve on the booster is good if using used parts.

i have an 86 gn and i am also considering doing a swap on the brakes, either to hydroboost or a vacuum system, i havent decided. i found a step by step install guide for the hydroboost but i was wondering if there is a similar guide for instaling a vacuum system?

i have an 86 gn and i am also considering doing a swap on the brakes, either to hydroboost or a vacuum system, i havent decided. i found a step by step install guide for the hydroboost but i was wondering if there is a similar guide for instaling a vacuum system?

I will be doing mine tomorrow.. It seems easy.

1) depressurize the POWERMONSTA

2) disconnect the battery

3) disconnect the switch & pump motor

4) remove brake lines

5) disconeect brake pedal

6) remove 4 bolts & toss the power monster in the rubbish! Well not really that!

7) remove pedal assembly if you are doing the vaccum conversion.

Reverse course for install. Except no hooking up the electrical switches & you need a vaccum source for the booster.

I BOUGHT THE TTA VACCUM BLOCK.

I COULD BE WRONG on what I WROTE here so if anyone wants PLEASE CHIME IN & correct me.

These are the instructions that I used when I installed vac brakes in my GN.

Vacuum Brake Install

Hope this helps!

John

You might want to check a wiring diagram before removing that fuse. If I remember correctly there isnt a 30 amp fuse for the powermaster, but the 25 amp fuse for the A/C is also on the powermaster circuit.

Ok the removal of the Powermonster went well, the pedal & bracket is what I also removed. That is because I had the Monte bracket & pedal already attached.

THE SNAG WE ran into was the MONTE SS DUAL DIAPRHAM BOOSTER is to big.
It placed the master cyl to far forward over the power steering res.

I ordered a single Diaphram booster at ADVANCE auto it will be in in 2 days. then I can continue on the project.

Ok the removal of the Powermonster went well, the pedal & bracket is what I also removed. That is because I had the Monte bracket & pedal already attached.

THE SNAG WE ran into was the MONTE SS DUAL DIAPRHAM BOOSTER is to big.
It placed the master cyl to far forward over the power steering res.

I ordered a single Diaphram booster at ADVANCE auto it will be in in 2 days. then I can continue on the project.

i am doing the vac conversion soon and i ordered a vacuum booster and master cylinder from an 86 regal with a v8 and found a pedal from an 85 monte carlo (this should work, right?). i assume it is a single diaphram booster but i am not sure. is it a single or should i cancel the order and get another one?

any tips for doing the conversion?

thanks

The 30A power brake fuse only runs the power master and the fan delay relay so in most cases it can be removed after the conversion. :)

i am doing the vac conversion soon and i ordered a vacuum booster and master cylinder from an 86 regal with a v8 and found a pedal from an 85 monte carlo (this should work, right?). i assume it is a single diaphram booster but i am not sure. is it a single or should i cancel the order and get another one?

any tips for doing the conversion?

thanks

You should be all set with single flat style booster that you ordered.

The FAT MONTE SS BOOSTER will work, but the lines will really have to be bent forward to meet the Master Cyl & the Master will sit over cap for the power sterring.