V8 Dakota?

Big Paul

Bob Barker
The other day, I was driving to pick up my friend from work, and this guy that I recognized from school pulled up next to me at the red in a '93-'94 V8 Dakota.

I remember him from last year, when he was talking all kinds of stuff like his Dakota has a new 5.9 in it, and how he beat a '91 350 Camaro and crap.

Well, he was bumpin' his system, and had his queer looking friend in the passenger seat and they were looking over at my wheels and were talking.

I didn't know if it was on or not, but I thought i'd just give it all its got when it goes green and see what he'd do.

The light hits green, and right when I gun he guns it TOO!:eek:

I had about a 2ft on him :D and then a car got out in front of me, but we raced from about 0-45/50 mph.

Personally I was shocked, I don't know what the older Dakotas have in em, 4.7's or 5.2's?

I was proud of my truck, and still am, I hate that guy anyways, and he knows a pretty good friend of mine, so i'm pretty sure we'll get back to each other one day and do this all over again.

hmmmm....

From what i've seen...the 4.7's are only in the newest dakotas (theres one here thats twin turboed! the 5.2 318 was the norm for the year mentioned 5.9 360's may have been special ordered. doubt it though. R?T were the 360's 5.9s An older 5.9 is a little hard to believe unless someone can chime in and state if the 360's were an actual option. to tell you the truth i dont even know that friend of yours and i already dont like him!...lol!(reminds me too much of an ex-dakota owner around here who was a real pain to even have near you)

My 98 dakota 4x4 ran 15.9 at 86mph at sea level. Its a 318 automatic. has a cat back and k&n and a chip. Dads winter beater.

I was really surprised that he didn't pull me.

But by 3rd gear I bet he'd have walked me. I know he beats the "S" out of that Dakota, and he talks alot of "S" too, which makes it so much better when he couldn't take me.

He'll ask around and find out I have a 2.8L, :D, I wanna find him again and talk to him see what he really has and see if he wants to talk some more.

Dont quote me on these stats but they should be correct.The first generation Dakotas(something like 1987-1993) had 5.2's with throttle body FI and made something like 170hp.I believe in 94 or maybe 93 they went to the new style "magnum" engine and the 5.2 made about 220 hp.These engines were much better.My 96 Dakota with the 175 horse 3.9L V-6 magnum would run right with my friends 89 Shelby Dakota with the 318.The 4.7L replaced the 5.2 I believe in 2000.This leads me to believe he has the old style Dakota.Even then he probably should have still beaten you and probably would have if you guys would have stayed in it.Otherwise his truck must be beat to sh....

Oh also I dont believe the 360 was ever available in the Dakota until the new body style debuted in 97 and even then it was offered in the RT only.Now it is optional on the quad cabs with automatic only.

Factors

I do know that the Dakotas weigh quite a bit more then an S-10, he has an ext. cab Dakota. I have a ext. cab S-10. He's got that V8 that wieghs him down too. And he had a friend in with him, I was by myself. I know his truck is fully loaded with power everthing, and all I got nice is a heater, and A/C when its hooked up.

I do know my truck makes around 120 RWHP, :D, so that should be 150 FWHP.

His truck makes 170 FWHP, so that should be 135 RWHP, going with 20% drivetrain loss.

But thats in a heavier truck, with an older engine, and nothing done to it. My truck only has 23,000 miles on a rebuilt motor, with a .030 overbore.

So I say thats about right. But I know I can't just go by engine, and wieght, I have to figure rear gears, and transmissions too, tire size, etc.... I did have smaller tires too.

I think if we really did this, it would be neck and neck.

Paul yea your right there are a ton of factors right down to the tires you guys are running.However I am just going by your story and a race up to 45 mph isnt very far.Probably didnt even cover an eighth mile.At some point 100+ cubic inches,2 extra cylinders, and a broader torque curve is gonna mean something.But then again his truck may be an out of tune POS with a lot of extra weight and a crappy driver.For what it is worth I hope you kick his ass.I dont like the sound of the guy anyway.The best way to find out is to do it.Good luck.

Yeah, true, I think he coulda edged me. I don't like the guy either, he's a d*ck to put it lightly.

I'll have to find him again, and see what happens. :D

how far is turlock from fresno? I got a 79 ford ranchero and i like trying to race people in it, but the only people who ever try are the rice rockets and other usually slow crap. ive never gone to a track so i have no idea what kinda times i could put down, but i would guess around 17s, and my engine is the stock 351m, all ive done to it would be add flows and done tranny and rear end work. ive had a couple s10s race me, but it didnt usually work out for them, however never one with a v6. nice run btw, hopefully youll get to set something up where you two can run a little longer, could be fun!

wishihadabuick?

Are you from Fresno?

Turlock is just south of Modesto, and about a 2 hour drive to Fresno.

My S-10, runs an 18.3 :D, pretty slow, maybe we can setup a run between your Ranchero and my S-10. ;)

i would actually love to go to the strip in bakersfield, i have a friend who used to live there and he said on weekends there is this sonic that all the street racers meet at regularly, he said there were sooo many people. shoot, if i had the money (i'm just a broke 20 year old college kid) id open up a track here in fresno, since the cops are cracking down on street racing so much, what the crap are we supposed to do? they could at least find another safer method to let us do our thing, just giving tickets and pissing people off isnt the best method of solving the problem, and plus i guarantee a track here would make a crap load of money, but then again i'm just a business major so what would i know? anyway, big paul, yeah i'm in fresno, 2 hours isnt bad compared to a lot of the other people on this board, i know a couple of the guys at supra forums who are in fresno, i just dont think i'm quite in their league to setup a race with them. but yeah, if youre ever down this way we should meet up, you ever come through here? the weekends on blackstone are crazy full of cars, but the illegals have been getting busted up way too much for comfort lately. oh well, i just wish i could get a turbo buick! if you wanna see my chero go to http://photos.yahoo.com/mbruff_ryder and you can see it, i believe there are a bunch of other pics of other crap but i dont remember what, but i could care less who sees, check it out if you want, you got any pics of your s10? id like to check it out, ok, ive said enough...

wishihadabuick, I never pass through Fresno, but I have family down there, and maybe this summer I might take a pass through there and i'll definately let you know.

Yeah up here the illegals have been getting busted up, like you said down in Fresno, if they build a track up here, they'd get hella business, the closest track to here is Sac, but I don't feel like driving an hour just to go run my truck a couple times.

Illegals are getting more and more scarce, but once the cops get most stopped, there just gonna come right back up again. Its just a matter of time.

BTW: Click the website button at the bottom of this page, and check out my truck pics, there a little bit dated, about a year old, the truck looks quite different now though.

hey paul, nice truck, i saw on the page that has your club memebers a guy with the last name fagundes...to your knowledge, does he have any family in fresno? I used to have a supervisor that was hecco cool with that last name and he had a honda s2000, a 90something rx7, and some other cars. I just saw that name and it kinda stood out and was wondering if there might be any relation...its not that important, i was just curious. anyway, did the link for my pics work? hopefully, ive done stuff to my car since then, but it pretty much looks the same though. aiight, yeah if you ever come through fresno let me know, thatd be cool, aiight, later!

I know he has family in Hanford, possibly in Fresno.

I don't know much about his family. He'd prolly tell me if someone owned an S2000 :D

I met a guy at the track this week that was running low 14s in his 94-96 ?dakota wich seemed really fast to me I saw him go14.07 so I went and talked to him and found out that he had dropped anew 5.9 that he had ordered from dodge said it made 360hp and that he was putting new heads on it trying to go mid 13s nice guy ,cool motor,ugly truck