V6 into a 68 Camaro Convertible, Lots of ??

Sharpie

I am looking into putting a V6 3.8 into my Camaro and would like to find out a few things,I know nothing about fuel injection,3.8,3800,Turbo's or superchargers! Just good old fast (ond) power! I am not building this as a race car,Its a vert I want GOOD GAS mileage and some power to boot! When I pop the hood :eek: !

I have done some reading on here and other sites but still think its better to ask.

3.8 Rear wheel drive motor.......3.8 Front wheel drive motor..........Are they the same??

What trans bellhousing do they have......Is it the same as a V8??

Will a Tremic TKO 5 speed work???

The supercharger motors are they only front wheel drive motors,and are they any good??

This is something I have been toying with, I think you can see I dont know crap about this stuff, :redface:

Things I do know,
Need Eletric fuel pump in tank..
Need the control module..
Fabed headers...
As for the rest I am in the dark!

Or I will just go with the Edelbrock fuel injection system.:tongue: (Easy just $$$)

This is a good site to start with Buick V6 History

I am fairly new to this myself but to take a stab at a few of your questions:

The belhousing is the standard BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) V8 and V6 are the same.

I am not familiar with the Tremic TKO but there are companies that make adapters that may let you hook up to that tranny. I have dealt with these guys and they are great. Advance Adapters.Com Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters

Fortunately there is a ton of info on these motors and the people on this site are very knowledgeable.

Good luck.

Couple other comments, you may not necessarily need an in tank fule pump, but if you can fit one it would be cheaper. Your problem is finding a FI sending unit that fits your tank.

Not exactly sure what you mean by fabed headers but try to stay as much stock as you can, it will save you ton of money. The headers and crossover for the Grand National motor hug the Engine so tightly that I would be very surprised if they would not fit in your Camaro.

Good Luck

Thanks Kovmat,

I did find the History of Buick V6 and have gone over it,Some good info in there.

The TKO I dont really know who makes it but its in most newer sports cars,Very nice tranny I have one in my Chevelle,I have seen some say manual trannys wont work and just wondering if its true or not,The TKO 5 can handle 500#LBS of torque so strenght is not an issue. IMO.

The pump in the tank is the "prefurred" I gess area its suppost to be?? And its a new tank and sender so it would be easy for me to fab up a sending unit and pump set up.

The haeaders The Buick would most likely fix except where the clutch and bellcrank go through.

I gess my main concern is the engine its self,As long as the bell housing is V8,That takes away one question.

I will tell you that there are a few little tricks to do a swap. it is tight around the steering box. as for the manual trans. it can be done, but you may have to have headers custom made though. here is my 67 firebird.

Won't be the first one to do it...
2z7envo.jpg

2yn5wnd.jpg

117g1ky.jpg

If you're dead set on a manual transmission you'd have better luck with a different motor. Maybe a 2JZ or 4G63...

Not totally sold on a stick behind it,I just love driving stick cars (more of the fun factor) Just looking for some feed back,I'm sure a few did it and it worked just fine and others had problems.

Not totally sold on a stick behind it,I just love driving stick cars (more of the fun factor) Just looking for some feed back,I'm sure a few did it and it worked just fine and others had problems.
if I was to build a Pro Touring style car, it would be a 6 speed. as long as you know what you are doing there are NO problems putting a manual tranny behind one of these motors.

The reason most people don't want a stick behind these motors is because they're slower than an auto. Boost drops between shifts and has to build back up. Also you can't build boost on the line.