Using alumalloy for repairs?

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
I remember seeing this stuff on TV years ago. The details on it are at Aluminum Welding - Aluminum Repair - Aluminum Brazing - AluminumRepair.com. Basically, you use a propane torch and these rods to repair aluminum and other metals (with the correct rods). On my dad's boat, the skeg (which is aluminum) on the lower unit was damaged by a rock and it took out a 50 cent piece chunk of aluminum on the outside of the skeg half way up. I think the prop must have kicked a rock into it and snapped off a piece. The boat shop wants to remove the lower unit and send it away for repairs, which I imagine will be a LOT of money. I think this alumalloy can do it. I think I could just repair it with this stuff and grind it back to shape and then repaint the skeg.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff?

Get some marinetec epoxy or Quick steel epoxy stick. Follow the instructions for install and rock on. I have repaired damaged foots on outboards before with either stuff and it worked great!!

I will have to check that stuff out. I have attached a picture of what I am talking about. This isn't our lower unit, but the area in red is where the damage is, i.e. missing aluminum.
skeg.jpg

I would tottaly try the epoxy stick.
Feather the edges and rough up the area and epoxy it with the quicksteel stick avail at most all the parts houses. Go past the area of where the divot is missing. Once use a wet finger to smooth it out once applied. Make it a lil thicker the I think you will be surprised and how make the areas around it rough.

Worse case pull it and have it welded if it doesnt work

I used to use Alumiloy to repair aluminum props after I found out the prop shop I was using used it. I used an acetylene torch and then ground it down. It was tough stuff. I use stainless props now, though and would not know where to get the stuff. Epoxy would work fine in the area where the chunk is missing. There is no stress there. If you could drill into the skeg and put a small threaded screw in it and then epoxy it, it would last forever. JB Weld drys fast. Marinetex is hard as a rock, but takes a long time to dry unless they have a new formula. Tig welding would be great too if you can get it done without taking the lower unit apart.

I would tottaly try the epoxy stick.
Feather the edges and rough up the area and epoxy it with the quicksteel stick avail at most all the parts houses. Go past the area of where the divot is missing. Once use a wet finger to smooth it out once applied. Make it a lil thicker the I think you will be surprised and how make the areas around it rough.

Worse case pull it and have it welded if it doesnt work

Excuse the crazy typos...My reply froze up and this craziness was posted. LOL

Thanks for the replies, guys. I will probably try the epoxy first since it is the cheapest and easiest to work with. I am still intrigued by alumiloy, though. If the epoxy doesn't work, at least I tried and I know I have other options now.