Used TA Aluminum motor for sale?

opeltwinturbo

I heard this evening that there was a used TA Aluminum V6 motor for sale at BG. I was not aware that there were any fully completed motors out there and running. Does anyone have any info on the completed TA V6 motor they would like to share. I am thinking about picking up one. Thanks.

Originally posted by CallMeMud
Much info on the other board about the block and stuff in The Waiting Room. HTH

Too bad most of the "info" and comments posted there, including your's, is by people without first hand knowledge about the TA blocks that have been built or about the poor job that was done on the used one in BG.

A "engine builder" complaining about machining chips and casting sand in a new block, and not completely cleaning it before assembly, deserves what he ends up with.:)

The TA block, like other aftermarket alum and iron blocks, require final machining, like cylinder hone, final surface deck, etc., and usually other assembly considerations. Steel liners are NOT done the same as iron blocks for example. Since alum expands differently than iron, considerations for basic clearances must be taken.

The TA block built be an experienced builder [Ken D.] is in a steet/strip GN that has run 9.60's with NO oil pressure or temp problems.

TA block

I dont care if it does take Kenny D. or TA to assemble the engine to make it live.My only question's are the "bugs"worked out and where is the proof if they are?Not trying to start anything I know that people have got alot of $$$ on the line and I really appreciate TA stepping up to the plate for us Buick guys.:)

If they can perform without any problems,ill be buying one and im sure alot of others will too.:)

So it looks like from previous posts on both this board and the other unmentionable board that only one TA block is now out and running in a Buick in CA somewhere and up until now I don't think that owner has commented on the the engine performance?
Nick mentions alot of this and that about this block, but I had asked before and it appears that none are out there yet performing on the street with the exception of maybe one....is this due to a lack of understanding of the final engine builders or block problems?

Nick: First of all, slow down. Apparently, someone pi$$ed in your Wheaties regarding this subject. I wish you would take this opportunity to explain to me (one of the uninformed) just where the motor is as far as development, marketability to the public, and what the end user can expect if he/she decides to buy one.

There are many excellent Buick engine builders out there. TA fortunately, has selected one of the cream of the crop, Kenny D., to do the R&D on the motor. We are all not as fortunate to have Kenny available and we turn to our favorite Buick engine builder to do so. Some of us even attack the project ourselves. That being the case, would it be possible to get an update on the 9.60's strip/street GN.

As always, the BPG "BUILD SHEET" is always looking for articles about Buick interest. Perhaps an article showing the buildup and success of this motor would be an avenue to inform the uninformed Buick community that the motor "has arrived". I don't think there would be any greater news for the V6 community than the successful completion of the TA Aluminum V6.

We'll have to have yet another beverage at Vegas chatting over this. :D

I think the reason more are not out there running around is the fact that not everyone has all the $$ to drop at once on a complete build.I am having to do mine peice by peice as I can afford it.

You guys always look for something bad,but how many of you have the $$ to pick up a fully built TA motor RIGHT NOW.I am not talking about stuffed with stock parts either.Who in their right mind would buy a $3500 block and put stock stuff in it?Not me.

The assembly is very important to be done by someone experienced with this type of block.I would suggest to anyone wanting one to have those close to the development of the block do the work.Nick is assembling mine for this very reason,I did not want somebody that had little or no experience touching it.He has been very helpful and patient with me and I am confident that my motor will have no problems.I will gladly share my experience with my motor when I get it done and running.Thank you Nick for all the help.

Patrick Smith

The one mystery motor running around CA made 1140 hp on Kens dyno months ago.

That translates to much more than a 9.60 ET.

I have not seen anyone else with a finished motor yet but I have not been down to Duttweilers shop in a while.

The block is no different than any other Buick block. You have to take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

That was kind of the beauty of this block from the start. You can use it for all of the stock parts if desired. Later on if you want to step up to a Stage crank, heads and the usual progression of a Buick turbo junkie you have one block that can do all of that.

Ok I might not have as much insite as say Nick but from all the talk I am doing with Mike @ TA. Everything Nick said is to the point.

Only thing else I can say is this block has came along way since 2000.

I have talked with Mike on several occassions for no less then 45 minutes each time. Mike takes the time with every customer possible to go over each situtation and gives his input on it.

Ok on to alittle about what I am going through. I am getting my full long block right from Mike with a final cost being approx 17k inserting foot now as I also have a wedding coming up which I have to save for.

What I am doing is the following:
Stroked Billet Crank
224/224 roller CAM
4" bore which comes out to I believe a 274
Billet Rods
TA heads which flowed 280 intake 205 exhaust
Rockers

All machining will be done by Rick at TA Performance Yes Mike put the money down to do everything in house now which will lower the price alittle.

Also you have to think for this amount I am getting all new basically everything. The only thing I will be sending Mike are the following valve covers, oil pan, timing chain and gear, intake, and crank trigger.

Also Mike said taht he is standing behind on everything which how many other engine builders for a "performance / race" block will do that. Meaning if everything was working properly and something happens will stand behind there work?

The only thing I can say about Mike is he is doing something that is very good for the Buick World and is getting all the right input and as the blocks are being finished if items are found that need to be changed Mike is doing everything he can to do this.