used hyd roller cam springs... LS1 beehive's?

Bump.... A blast from the past.... dug up by using "search" :biggrin:

Seems like there are alot more people selling these now for our Buicks.... I see Mike has them on his site....

What installed height is possible with 8445 heads? Do you need the stepped retainers or locks?

What is the stock installed height for stock 8445 heads?

Of you guys running them.... how do you like them?

I run the Modern Muscle, errr............Fullthrottlespeed, roller cam set up with the bee-hive springs. I have had ZERO problems with the set-up that he sells. I also run his roller rockers, too. I think that the hysdraulic roller cam deal is the way to go. There is a TON of info on the new valve spring design. You can't argue with a lighter retainer. Oldsmobile use to use a similar spring, although not ovate, but they ran it upside down, for spring pocket clearance issues. Nothing really new. The hot rod guys many years ago would use the Olds springs on small block chevy's. I have done alot of reading on the spring design and think there is something to it. GM didn't have their head up their keester on this idea. Just my opinion.

Stock install height, I'm pretty sure is 1.727

My install height with the Beehives was 1.70 with 153lbs. on the seat. That is with ported 8445's.

If you use the BeeHives you will have to use the Comp 614 (+.50 ) super locks and either the 794 retainers ( titanium, very,very expensive ) or the 795 ( steel ). You will have a few extra retainers and locks because they come with 16 and of course we only need enough for 12. I can't remember why I got the one's for a V8, either it was to have a little extra or at the time that was the only way to get the locks and retainers. That was 2 years ago, I'm sure that you can get them in the correct quanity now. Like you stated, Full Throttle has everything you would need in a complete kit. That would be the way to go. Alot of guys are running this set up with very good success.

The entire point of beehives, is that you can run less seat pressure and not float the valves. 70 lbs on the seat is a little low, but it would actually work better than many think. Add a .030" shim and you would probably be fine up to redline. That small light cap, and most of the spring mass being at the base works wonders for harmonics and valve acceleration and deceleration. 80-90 lbs on the seat with a true beehive setup (comp cams has the ovate wire shape which helps) would probably be equivalent to 120-130 on the seat with a conventional setup.

The entire point of beehives, is that you can run less seat pressure and not float the valves. 70 lbs on the seat is a little low, but it would actually work better than many think. Add a .030" shim and you would probably be fine up to redline. That small light cap, and most of the spring mass being at the base works wonders for harmonics and valve acceleration and deceleration. 80-90 lbs on the seat with a true beehive setup (comp cams has the ovate wire shape which helps) would probably be equivalent to 120-130 on the seat with a conventional setup.

Are you running this setup?

If so... what installed height did you end up with? What seat pressure? What heads? Which retainers? Which locks?

I ran the 918's. I think the install height was 1.715sh with a 130lbs on the seat (hyd roller). The nice thing about them is the spring rate. You can run a lot of seat pressure relatively speaking (good to control valve bounce off the seat) without huge amounts of nose pressure.