URSPANKED has paint now...

J-Rod

The GN was getting pretty tired looking. After I finally got the motor all squared away, I had painted the hood. Dad (URSPANKED) put on new front and rear fillers, and I had powder coated the bumpers.

Anyhow, the paint jobs was just shot,and was just hopeless. As we all know, GN's and Monte Carlos were shot with lacquer which cracks after it gets old. Once it cracks you can't just sand it, and spray over the top. You have to strip it other wise the cracks just come back right through the old paint.

So, we stripped the entire car to bare metal , and painted it. Also, the car is a T-Top car :barf: . I had a solid roof donor car lined up, but Dad didn't want to mess with that. Once we got the car torn down and all the repairs done to the T-Tops I think he wishes he would have just cut off the roof. Anyway, cost was much more reasonable than originally expected. My buddy owns the shop we did the work at. I originally had planned about $3500.

To strip the car to bare metal , fix all the door dings, clean and sandblast all the metal around the T-Top frame, a bit of rust repair around the frame area, and spraying the whole car was less than $2000. Dad tipped my buddy that owns the shop $200 for all his hard work on the car.

I can honestly say the car looks a million times better. The doors are tight now, It has new seals and weatherstripping. It looks and feels like a new car.

Now, all I have to do is tune the open loop chip in the car. At 12 lbs of boost, the car goes so fat it won't hardly run, and falls on its face. Those 72lb injectors can move some fuel...

Primer
GN-0153.jpg

GN-0154.jpg

GN-0155.jpg

GN-0156.jpg

GN-0157.jpg

GN-0158.jpg

Paint
GN-0042.jpg

GN-0033.jpg

GN-0034.jpg

GN-0043.jpg

GN-0044.jpg

Motor
GN-0039.jpg

GN-0040.jpg

GN-0041.jpg

Damn, you got your money's worth and then some. The paint jobs looks awsome, did you wet sand and polish? if not the painter definatly knew what he was doing. I have seen paint jobs that cost twice as much look half as good!!

The car was color sanded and buffed. The digital camera we used isn't the hight quality, but ther car looks really nice. Far better than stock. My buddy has a 1400 mile GNX, and the paint on it has a lot more peel, and much less depth. Of course this is a bascoat/clear coat, so you'd expect that over the factory lacquer. But, thanks for the props.

when I paint mine I am planning on putting a couple extra coats of clear on so that I have some material to sand off in the color sanding process. Do you know how many coats of clear they put on the car? and just as a reference how many hours did you spend wet sanding and polishing?

There is nothing like a fresh paint job! Just completed mine.. Link in the signature.. I will be posting the post-sand and buff pics on saturday when I start to put it back together..

Wet sanding can really make a difference! Especially black. I just painted my truck last weekend and I will spend this Saturday wet sanding, I shot 3 coats of clear to give me plenty of cushion!:)