upper control arm replacement

85HOT-T

How the heck am I supposed to get the nuts off of the fron mount of the upper control arm? I can barely fit a shallow well 1/2 drive in there. It's only deep enough to get maybe 1/4 of the nut.

Thanks

On the passenger side I removed my exhaust downpipe for clearance. Also, a box end wrench was the other tool I used. Slow process but it worked.

If you're swapping for tubular control arms, trust me you'll will wish you never did. I've driven plenty of GN's with both upper, and lower tubular arms and it doesn't drive well at all. I wanted to swap until I drove a couple. Then I put Energy Suspension bushings in my stock arms and was very happy with the results. Just trying to help. :smile:

If you're swapping for tubular control arms, trust me you'll will wish you never did. I've driven plenty of GN's with both upper, and lower tubular arms and it doesn't drive well at all. I wanted to swap until I drove a couple. Then I put Energy Suspension bushings in my stock arms and was very happy with the results. Just trying to help. :smile:

Is it the ride quality or a tracking problem?

Is it the ride quality or a tracking problem?

Tracking, the ride is still great. :) When you turn the wheel it doesn't come back you need to turn the wheel yourself. It feels to touchy for me. It's like driving on the crown of the road at all times. It wants to go left or right to much work just to drive down the fwy for me. :frown:

wow that is weird. Maybe I'll just do the lowers now and later down the road if I don't like it I'll do the uppers too. I am at least ganna put polyurithane bushings in there though.

I wonder if the umi's are a little different length than the stockers?

wow that is weird. Maybe I'll just do the lowers now and later down the road if I don't like it I'll do the uppers too. I am at least ganna put polyurithane bushings in there though.

I wonder if the umi's are a little different length than the stockers?

Are you talking about the rear suspension?

It's not really the control arms, its the alignment.

I have tubular uppers on my 2+2 and i can take my hands off the wheel at 160 mph and it goes straight down the road.

You want a lot of caster to track straight, so if the the tubular are you are using don't have any, there's your problem.

Adjustable tubular arms would allow as much caster as you can use.

It's not really the control arms, its the alignment.

I have tubular uppers on my 2+2 and i can take my hands off the wheel at 160 mph and it goes straight down the road.

You want a lot of caster to track straight, so if the the tubular are you are using don't have any, there's your problem.

Adjustable tubular arms would allow as much caster as you can use.

I'm just basing my opinion from drive time. I have driven many GN's with front tubular upper and lower arms and its awful. IMO

How the heck am I supposed to get the nuts off of the fron mount of the upper control arm? I can barely fit a shallow well 1/2 drive in there. It's only deep enough to get maybe 1/4 of the nut.

Thanks

Sounds like you are talking about the rear upper control arms.

If so...get a 1/2 in drive 6 point socket on the bolt. Then use a 3/8 to 1/2 adaptor on it, next a swivel and then your 3/8 drive ratchet. Impact gun (or large rathchet) on the other side, it will help tremendously if you have someone use the impact on the bolt while you hold the ratchet in place on the nut.

PITA to do, but can be done with a little patience. Makes it a little easier to get the socket on and off if you use a small prybar and bend the metal away from the bolt on the backside of the floorpan, no one will ever see it. Just make sure to not scratch it up while doing so, if you do hit it with a shot of spraypaint to prevent rust further down the road.

Are you talking about the rear suspension?

Yeah I am. I was trying to figure out how the rears made the front wheels not want to track straight. Mustof not put enough caster angle in em.

Sounds like you are talking about the rear upper control arms.

If so...get a 1/2 in drive 6 point socket on the bolt. Then use a 3/8 to 1/2 adaptor on it, next a swivel and then your 3/8 drive ratchet. Impact gun (or large rathchet) on the other side, it will help tremendously if you have someone use the impact on the bolt while you hold the ratchet in place on the nut.

PITA to do, but can be done with a little patience. Makes it a little easier to get the socket on and off if you use a small prybar and bend the metal away from the bolt on the backside of the floorpan, no one will ever see it. Just make sure to not scratch it up while doing so, if you do hit it with a shot of spraypaint to prevent rust further down the road.

Yeah thats a lot. I tried earlier by myself with a 1/2 ratchet on the nut (couldn't even get it on) and an impact in my other hand. Ill try that prybar trick and get my buddy to get his butt over, after all I helped him replace all the suspension and lower his delsol, oh and forgot to put a nut on the fron strut tower. :eek: We did put it on, after going trough some s turns at 80.:biggrin: