Upgrades from stock

Savingasix

hey guys, I've got an 87 GN I purchased several months ago. I bought a raptor transmission with a 2800 stall converter that's about to go in. Engine is being pulled now to be rebuilt, I just purchased a 206 comp cam and will be putting a bigger plenum on. My question is in the turbo, headers and downpipe... This whole project is to first of all better the appearance in the engine compartment and with engine upgrades I'd like the car to run in the 12's although it is a street car and will be driven almost daily. Can someone give me advice on upgrades as far as turbo , headers and downpipe that I should go with? It would be nice if these could be purchased in a combo somewhere but I'm not having luck finding that. I have seen the combo by GN1 with the Super T72 but I'm not sure what to think about it.. Thanks in advance fir any help!

http://www.hartlineperformance.com
Call Holly and tell her your goals and she'll hook you up. If you're new to these cars please do yourself a favor and read a ton! If all you're wanting is 12's stock turbo, downpipe, and especially headers will take you there. Instead do a chip, drag radials, and learn how to tune.

hey guys, I've got an 87 GN I purchased several months ago. I bought a raptor transmission with a 2800 stall converter that's about to go in. Engine is being pulled now to be rebuilt, I just purchased a 206 comp cam and will be putting a bigger plenum on. My question is in the turbo, headers and downpipe... This whole project is to first of all better the appearance in the engine compartment and with engine upgrades I'd like the car to run in the 12's although it is a street car and will be driven almost daily. Can someone give me advice on upgrades as far as turbo , headers and downpipe that I should go with? It would be nice if these could be purchased in a combo somewhere but I'm not having luck finding that. I have seen the combo by GN1 with the Super T72 but I'm not sure what to think about it.. Thanks in advance fir any help!

Ask Bison on the forum here, He rebuilds turbo's or he can send u a new fresh one, ask him....I have a stock turbo on my 87buickgn, Last year I bought a rebuild TBO-348(87stockgn) turbo rebuild from Bison with Dynamic seals & thrust. It spool's nice & It whistle's instantly with the rjc Boost Controler, If it's not 20 year's old the stock turbo's pretty good & spool's quick. I asked him to ship mine usps express to Canada, It came in one week with no dents on the box. Also nicely insulated. Unless u want add alky kit. Even so a will rebuild stock turbo can take u a long way with Razor's alky kit. I'd say 22-24psi max. I only run 17-18psi of boost/no meth kit, So I can't relate. Ta-49 or an 5957 stock appearing is a good choice since u have the stall but alittle more expensive than a stock rebuild. I like a TurboTweak chip. I would keep the stock header, if there's any leaks pull them out and get them welded by a professional or get TA (stock) replacement headers if u wantha change/They say the stock downpipe is good for the 11's or go with an rjc 3" dp. If u have clearance.

Last edited:
I just installed a Precision 5831 on mine ,same converter as you have and I am very pleased with it.Cant beat it for the price.

Okay, first off if you ask a question like this; ten people will give you ten different answers. You don't need all the "cool guy" parts for these cars to go fast. Just takes alot of patience and tuning. And track time.

My GN went 11.98@111 on the stock turbocharger. Yes its possible. This was with a stock intercooler (NO Dutt neck) and a stock convertor as well. Engine was original and bone stock, except for replacement timing chain and valve springs. Car had alchy, 009s, and a THDP. Car went consistent 12.2-3s all night long on a good tire and good launch. It was so much fun. I should've left it alone.

Stock headers are good to 10s if you can keep them from cracking, I couldn't, so I went to TAs. Bigger plenum or TB isnt needed, mine is bone stock; except for a little smoothing of the plenum behind the TB.

A good street turbo is a TE-62. Now I know its old technology, BUT IT WORKS. I had one with a Dutt neck intercooler and it went 11.50s on the regular on a tire. I pushed that setup to a 11.32@118 at about 27psi. Still on the original motor mind you. That and a 3400 stall and it was great.

I'd go with a TE-44 with the 2800 stall and call it a day. Keep it simple.