underdrive pulley?

86 got boost

this question most likely allready asked but, is there any wrong doing w/ using a underdrive pulley on crankshaft... or should leave it w/ stock...?

You will turn RPM's a little qiuicker but there is a downside...

Someone many years ago who was much wiser and faster than me told me to take mine off. He said that the amount of power gained was insignificant in trade for the loss of cooling power. The factory pulley will turn the waterpump a whole lot faster and keep the detonation down by cooling your engine much more efficiently.

I am in Louisiana where its HOTTTT 10 months out of the year....I need every drop in temps that I can get.

Just my 2 cents. HTH

i was told the same thing w/ also saying a power loss from alternator at idle or coming to stop when hitting brakes, ive noticed on a 75' day my temp will hit about 180' lights dim good too, might as well switch out tomorrow, i never did care for those besides they look nice...ha
thanks, ray

Get an RJC pulley, much lighter so you'll lose some reciprocating (Sp?) weight, and it's the same diameter as stock. They look great tool

to underdrive or not to underdrive

I make underdrive pulleys and 3 different stock dia crank pulleys out of 6061 aircraft aluminum. We always recomend the stock dia pulleys on any car that is driven on the street, if it is a race only car then an underdrive pulley can be used. I would personally not use an underdrive pulley unless the car was a race only car and redlined in the 7k neighborhood. We have tested them and could not ever measure any noticeable difference in hp between the two dias.

hope this helps.

thanks for the info, what does the stock aluminum crank pulley go for? and ya i put the stock back on, dropped 20' degrees in temp and my voltage is great and no more stumble when the electric fan kicks in...

RJC has nice stuff, and he knows what he's talkin' 'bout (as far as i can tell), check out his site!

If there is no noticeable HP difference why would anyone need a race version?

If there is no noticeable HP difference why would anyone need a race version?

I actually made them for guys that run electric water pumps, you have to have that size of pulley so the belt will clear the water pump and still go around the rest of the pulleys.

I would also run one on a car that did not have any drive accessories or if you spun the motor above 6500.

I also made a few stock dia race style pulleys that are 9/16" shorter than the stock pulleys. guys were using these in combination with the MDS crank trigger wheels that make up the difference.

I've had a street version underdrive pulley that I bought from Lawrence Conley on my car for the past 18 years with no downside issues at all. It is billet so it looks really nice and even with my front mount my car runs at 165 just about all the time. We were in slow moving and standing still traffic for 2 hours the other evening and the hottest the car got was 185° with the AC on all that time. Once we got moving again it was back to 165°. I've never had any issues with the alternator.

now if there was only someone who made light weight pullys like the rjc set for us hotair guys that would be awsome or i could stop being lazy and get all the parts and put the 87 stuff on the front of my motor.

NO problem here

I used an underdrive pulley on crank, car is street driven 98%, no over heating no charging issues air cranks fine at idle, when the alt was beefed up the i told them and they installed a different pulley on the alt, water pump is high volume from (flowkooler) ?, just what has worked for me 3 years now