Uh-Oh. Thrust Bearing?

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
This doesn't look good. I hope someone can tell me that this isn't the thrust bearing failing.

My 87 Turbo T started making a clattering sound. Comes from the middle of the car and I had just changed my cat for a test pipe so I've spent about a month fiddling with my downpipe, cat, and tail pipes to eliminate the clanking sound. Now I know that it's not my exhaust system and the noise is getting louder. I removed the torque converter inspection cover and the noise is even louder. Looking at the tc while the engine idles, the flywheel/tc moves noticably fore and aft and chatters pretty bad. Noisy in P, N, and D. In reverse, very little noise. I did not want to climb under the car while in gear, so I don't know what it looks like in any gear. 131,000 miles on an unopened engine. What could it be? How do I make sure? Thanks in advance...

Check the torque converter/flexplate bolts. They might have worked their way loose. Retorque them with Loctite if they are. When they come loose, they usually make the sound of rocks rattling in a tin can.

...Mike

Originally posted by Ken Cunningham
This doesn't look good. I hope someone can tell me that this isn't the thrust bearing failing.

Looking at the tc while the engine idles, the flywheel/tc moves noticably fore and aft and chatters pretty bad

If you're actually seeing the flexplate wobble back and forth, the only way for that to happen is the crank being broken or thrust bearings gone.

You been doing alot of power braking?.
That plays hell on the thrust bearings.
Some of the not so good converters will ballon and push the crank forward, when they do.

"Check the torque converter/flexplate bolts. They might have worked their way loose. Retorque them with Loctite if they are. When they come loose, they usually make the sound of rocks rattling in a tin can."
- I checked only one while I was under there today. I will check them all tomorrow. The sound is kinda like rocks rattling. The sound is not a deep, evil death rattle. That's why I chased the exhaust system for so long, because the sound is a chattering like a pipe hitting something. If it's only the bolts will I ever be glad!

"If you're actually seeing the flexplate wobble back and forth, the only way for that to happen is the crank being broken or thrust bearings gone."
- Could I actually have driven for the past month (>1000 miles) with a broken crank?!??

"You been doing alot of power braking?" - Nope

"Some of the not so good converters will ballon and push the crank forward, when they do."
- D5 convertor. I think that's the stock one, right?

Not to give you a diffinative yes on the 1000 miles and a broken crank. But I've actually seen a diesel engine operate with a crank that was broken in two. Anything is possible.

Check your crank the same way you do when building an engine. Use a dial indicator on the balancer or some other appropriate surface.

As a side note, when Duttwiler built my small block ford twin turbo, he drilled/machined holes perpendicular in the block on the journal where the thrust bearing sits. Than he also drilled holes through the bearing. This feeds oil directly between the crank and the bearing surface. It has eliminated 99% of my thrust bearing failures. I was considering doing this to my v6 over the winter. If ya pull it apart, you might want to explore this.

Remember: The ark was built by an amatuer, the Titanic by a group of professionals.....

WHOO-HOO!! Loose flexplate bolts!! No major damage.
I took off the inspection cover again today. 2 of the bolts were not cinched down tight. They were not so loose that you could see any gap between the bottom of the bolt and the flexplate, but they came off without any breaking loose. I took them out and replaced them with some more Loctite on them. The flexplate holes were not abused; the bolts looked fine. I didn't think that that would fix the problem since the bolts were not backed way out, but when I restarted it the car was quiet as a churchmouse. I drove it (to a car show, actually) after fixing and all is well again. Thanks for the assistance.